Student Visa to Employment Pass

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about the transition from student to work visa. I can't really find anything about this online. I've studied in KL, and now I've been offered a job here. The company was almost done with processing my visa when they needed a uni verification letter; which I had to cancel my student visa for. I did this last week, got the letter today along with my passport. My question now is, do I have to leave the country since my student visa has been cancelled or did the immigration at Cyberjaya automatically put me on a travel visa?

Another note: My company signed me up via MSC eXpats service, if that helps.

Really not sure what to do here because neither my uni or employer knows what to do.

Hopefully anybody can help me  :)

Your company should just submit the uni letter and proof that your student visa has been cancelled so that the process can continue. Nothing is automatic in immigration - so you are in limbo pending issue of your employment pass.

Thanks so much for your reply!

They're sending the verification letter today. However I'm still unsure whether I have to leave or I can stay while this process is going on; since I don't have a visa right now. I'm category 2; I've read that category 2 (salary 5k and above) you do not have to leave the country but I'm not sure that is true.

Normally MDEC informs the employer if the application will require the candidate to exit the country and wait for clearance. So if the employer has not received this information then I guess its OK.

Hello,

I am on the same situation of you. Can I ask you how long was the process for the working visa? And when did you start to do it before your cancellation student visa?

Thank you,
Jeanne

Any idea if we need to cancel student pass first? Or we can cancel it after getting the stage 1 approval for EP?

Dear all,

I just graduated from a public university of Malaysia. My EP3 visa is on process with MDEC. I already cancelled my student pass and waiting for approval. However, while waiting for approval I am being overstayed for one week already. My company applied for exemption not  to exit the country for RMCO.

My company is now going to apply for special pass. As I am overstayed already I am tensed now. I asked my company to exit the country but they said no need and I need to stay cause they already applied for exemption. They also said there will be no problem for overstay.

I need your attention and advise about this. Cause I am really very worried and tensed for the situation.

Hope your knowledge would help me remain calm.

Thanks in advance.

I can understand your worry. Did you get your special pass ?

I submitted my passport yo mdec already for special pass. they said it is still under the decision of immigration whether to give or not.

Oh ok. Hope you get it soon.

Hi..
Did you submit the student pass confirmation letter ? Which format it was ?

When you submitted your passport for special pass did your employer send any representative with you ?