Relocating to Montenegro

Hi everybody :)

My husband and I are in the process of selling our house in the UK and we are then  planning to get in our motorhome (Betsy) drive to Montenegro ,buy a property and live happily ever after :)
The idea is to buy a couple of apartments to rent for income and a home for ourselves to live in, does anybody know the procedure for doing this?
Do we have to get a visa, register a business, inform the police e.t.c ?
Do we need to register our motorhome there and if so, who with, because we intent to keep our motorhome with us in Montenegro for business and pleasure .
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hello !

The procedure for buying property is very straight forward in Montenegro.
If you want to send me your email address in PM I will send you the Q&A file that I send to the clients who buy property from me (I am a property developer based in Tivat) and which answers most common questions related to Propery Purchase.

You would need to sort out your own Residency indeed if you plan to live here permanently. There are 2 options:
- To buy a property - in which case your Residency is based on Property Ownership
- To get a work permit, either by getting employed by an existing local comany, or by setting up your own company and hiring yourselves.

As part of the Residence Permit Procedure, you will indeed inform the Police / "MUP" of your presence here. One fellow expat has made a very good sum-up of the procedure, which you can find here lake-skadar.com/muppet-list - Again, you can find people to help you for the entire process, so don't be too scared !!

If you plan to purchase several properties is might be wise to do this via your company, for tax purposes. Again I can send you some more detailed information on this, as I work closely with tax/legal partners who can help with all the admin side of that.

Not too sure about the Motor Home... Most probably yes, but hopefully someone else can answer better. All I can tell you is that I have been driving my car with French plates here for almost 9 years, without any problem, so it is also possible to not change your registration, but if it is for business it could be different.

I hope I helped a bit !

Cheers,
Carine

I am thinking of buying a property in Montenegro. Should I apply for temporary residence based upon my owning a property, how long a period of stay would I be allowed?

When you own a property you can apply for residency which is valid 1 year. Each year you can renew your residency provided you still own the property.

Does the residency provide any benefit other than being able to stay in the country, e.g. are you able to travel as a Montenegran resident to countries where Montenegrans would normally be able to travel such as Schengen countries?
Currently, as a South African citizen,  I have to apply for a visa to travel within the Schengen states, and I am only allowed to stay for 3 months in every six months period. Will the Montenegran residency allow me to travel in Schengen states without having to apply for a visa?

Does the residency provide any benefit other than being able to stay in the country, e.g. are you able to travel as a Montenegran resident to countries where Montenegrans would normally be able to travel such as Schengen countries?
Currently, as a South African citizen,  I have to apply for a visa to travel within the Schengen states, and I am only allowed to stay for 3 months in every six months period. Will the Montenegran residency allow me to travel in Schengen states without having to apply for a visa?

No.
The permanent residency allows you to stay in Montenegro and has nothing to do outside of the borders of this country.

Tsarine wrote:

If you plan to purchase several properties is might be wise to do this via your company, for tax purposes. Again I can send you some more detailed information on this, as I work closely with tax/legal partners who can help with all the admin side of that.

Hi,
I wonder what are the benefits of doing it via a company?

Hello I am an Australian citizen, born and raised in Australia, but I spend quite a bit of time in Montenegro because  my father was born here and I still have a lot of family here.  I would love to help you.  I have also bought a house with flat and have the same idea.  I can help you with the highs and lows of the process. Please email me if you think I could help.

Kind regards

Please PM me with our email if you like.

Hi Qwentin,
One thing is that it can make it easier to get Schengen visas for those who need this, as you can apply via your company. The other one is because in some cases you can claim part of the Vat back.
Cheers,
Carine

Qwentin wrote:
Tsarine wrote:

Hi,
I wonder what are the benefits of doing it via a company?