Computer virus called Wannacry

You may have heard already but a new and very dangerous PC virus is going around. It is refered to ransomeware. It encripts data on computers and renders that data inaccessible until a ransom is paid.

If you get a pop up demanding a ransome then you have likely been infected. Shut down your PC and seek help.

It seems to be world wide and growing

Bob K

No reports of it here at all.

If you go on wikipedia it shows a world map of infections, DR seems to be clear and it only effects Windows older versions. If you are using Windows 10 and it is up to date, you should be safe.

If your computer is infected with this virus, don't pay the ransom - many people who have paid Bitcoins don't receive the decryptor. All top security companies are currently working to develop a decryption solution

This may be one reason to back up your computer and files on a regular basis.

Bob K

Just another reason to have offsite backup. I use dropbox!

I use a Mac so also safe for now. However I am religious about doing backup hourly since it is supported on the Mac and if you have a big enough backup disk (mine is 4 terabytes), you can have years of backup.

If you get hit, wipe the computer install the operating system again, including any patches you may be missing and restore from your backup from a date before you got the malware.