Accommodation in Da Lat

I will be in Da Lat, Vietnam on the 21st May 2017, and will be looking for a 1 bedroom apartment to rent, in that city. I am looking for somewhere QUIET please. Where would I start looking please?

We do not have much in the way of Apartments here in Dalat. But houses  much cheaper here than elsewhere in Vietnam. I would suggest
you not go near Anada Community. It sounds nice at first but no one has every been happy there and left once they realized the true story. I know a lady the had a furnished full service place, very nice. But you don't say what your budget is. If you want to PM me I will try and help if I can.

You should also specify duration. 1 month? 1 year?

Thanks Gobot. Will be staying for 6 months or more...if I like Da Lat. Could you perhaps suggest areas I should look at.....I am an older woman on my own from South Africa. Will be teaching ESL.

Hi Diazo....my budget, it would seem it too low...so perhaps around $300 /  month on long term rental...6 to 12 months. Unfortunately pay here in Dalat is very low. Thanks for any help.

There are places available for US$300 or less, though since you emphasized "QUIET", it's going to be more difficult. I suggest riding around and checking out neighborhoods at different times of the day and night. Somewhere quiet in the daytime might have karaoke or a neighbor who's proud of his sound system blasting through the night. Barking dogs are always going to be an issue; roosters a little less so. The place I used to live was quiet when I moved in, though by the time I moved out there were two new hostels, three new perpetually-barking dogs, and a cafe with music on weekends. My point is that quiet now is no guarantee of quiet next month.

Hi John-D.......thanks a ton for your advice. I have lived in Hanoi...and know a lot about the constant change around your living area...if it is not new construction, it is new neighbour with loud habits or dogs!

I've had two full days of jetlag...and will try asking around today. I see my school is located in Bui Thi Xuan Str, Ward 8, Dalat. Anyone who know someone, who knows someone, who might know of an apartment to rent......yell in this direction, please!

I am a retired person, looking for a fully furnished apartment, condo or small house in a quiet location (no dogs barking or karaoke fanatics nearby please) near the center of Da Lat for long-term rent starting around 15th of July or August first 2018. Flat rate, European like interior and location nearby a GYM would be an advantage...

You can PM me if you wish to.

Hello epsacori,

We'll be coming to DL I'm March 2019 to look at places to rent. I looked at the recommended site on this thread ‘Batdongsan' and didn't have much success with it.
Have you landed in DL yet, or found a rental to your liking? Have you found any other sites that show long term rental listings in DL that you found helpful?

Thx,

Thai_FX

Thai_FX wrote:

Hello epsacori,

We'll be coming to DL I'm March 2019 to look at places to rent. I looked at the recommended site on this thread ‘Batdongsan' and didn't have much success with it.
Have you landed in DL yet, or found a rental to your liking? Have you found any other sites that show long term rental listings in DL that you found helpful?

Thx,

Thai_FX

In my opinion, you're wasting your time looking now for 8 months from now. It is rare that a desirable listing is up for more than a month, and if it is, it's because the owner is asking too much.

The best properties often rent before they're even put on the market. My current and immediately previous rentals were both like that--we found them through word-of-mouth.

As I and others have said many times on various threads, upon arrival expect to live in a hotel for at least a couple weeks. That's infinitely better that than committing to a place sight-unseen. There are too many variables: nearby Karaoke; perpetually-barking neighborhood dogs; LOUD truck/minivan/car horns all day and half the night; and so on.

There are almost daily changes to Dalat and a great place today might be next door to a Karaoke-loving neighbor next week.

epsacori wrote:

... and location nearby a GYM would be an advantage...

If you like to work out, wouldn't a nice long walk to/from the gym be a bigger advantage? ;-)

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Just tire kicking to get a sense of the size and prices for places. I read in IL magazine in a 2015 article that a nice apartment can be found for $300.00 USD.

I did read your previous posts on the Asian customs of tuk tuks & moto's buzzing around all night, and Karaoke. We've been expats in Chiang Mai Thailand for that last five years and so we have been well educated through experience of sudden and unexpected sound pollution. And have moved a time or two because of those factors.

Dalat is just much smaller by comparison so getting a feel for housing via the net isn't that feasible.

But we are looking forward to checking it out this trip. We did northern VN 2 years ago and really liked it, Da Nang it was a special surprise.

There ate teallg nog much in the way of apartments in DaLat. A lot of large villas. Sometimes you have to take more house than you may need. $300 can be found, but the prices are going up and $300 is probably going to be difficult if you want Western style

Thanks Vagabondone,

Helpful information, I had read that houses can be on the bigger size, not really needed for the two of us but Western style is what we would prefer.

Two adults and one child in my place and we pay US$500/month total (all utilities) for 3 large floors plus a covered terrace. We could easily lose one to 1-1/2 rooms without cramming us at all, but it's a great place, so we signed for 2 years, which is, I believe, very unusual.

If, by "Western style", you mean showers with doors and actual closets, then you will be EXTREMELY limited in your choices. Wardrobe cabinets aren't all that bad...

It was the issue I had. They are either to small or to big. But so cheap it was better to take more house than needed. Of course utilities bill  are next to nothing because they do not need heat and A/C. Petrol use is minimal because you can get across town in no time. Food of the international variety is a minus though. Gook luck.

Vagabondone wrote:

...Food of the international variety is a minus though...

I'd LOVE to have one each good Mexican & Greek restaurants here!

JohnD
“Western style” for us just means “Kitchen” would LOVE loads of countertop and storage cabinets and counters at Western height levels.

Vagabondone
More house could be okay, don't use what you don't need…

Would LOVE to NOT use AC, hence the interest in DL. Also really like fermented foods and trying to ferment anything other than sauerkraut just goes off too quickly.
Nothing more nasty then a mushy dill pickle.

Thx for the feedback.

JohnD

Lot's of international eateries here in CM, but we have really dropped down to one and our most favorite, Indian cuisine... And we have eaten at the one in Hoi An a few years ago and see that there is a branch in DL.

Yummy.