Visiting Germany after arrival to Belgium immediately ..possible ?

Hi All ,
Currently I am in Belgium with type-D visa for one year and my family should arrive soon with Type-D visa ( spouse , non working )
I did not yet get an ID yet as I am still looking for an apartment .
Though I need to visit a special DR in Germany for something medical . Is it possible to visit Germany by train ( while holding passports ) but without having yet the ID that you get from BELGIAN goverment ( commune ) as I know it takes 3 months at least .

BR
M.Gaber

Hi - Yes you can travel with the passport alone. RP ID not required.

First of all, if you are not Belgian, you will not have an ID card. You will be given, on what you have said, a European standard format card, it is now given the endorsement "carte bleue" on it for non EU nationals.

Whether you can travel to German on your passport alone depends upon your nationality. If you are a Schengen visa national, you CANNOT travel to Germany on just your passport, without your residency card as noted above, your only other option is to apply for a Schengen visa to go to Germany by train, though you may be told you cannot have a Schengen visa as you are in the process of regularizing your stay in Belgium.

If you are a non Schengen visa national, you can go to Germany by train on just your national passport.

Thanx for the reply :)

If you entered Europe via Belgium, then most likely you have a shengen visa stamped on your passport. If the validity date is still within your travel plans, then you can most definitely go to Germany.

Did you not read? Op does not have a schengen visa but a Belgian d visa not valid for visit to Germany

As per latest info, you can travel to another Schengen country while being on Visa D in one country and you are waiting for your residence permit card. This amendment to schengen visa code was made considering the fact that most countries take time to convert the D type visa to a residence permit and this restricts visa holder from moving around. With this amendment, even if the D type visa is issued only for one country, you can travel to other schengen countries during the waiting period for your residence permit.

Reference: Regulation (EU) No 265/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 March 2010 (amending the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement and Regulation (EC) No 562/2006 as regards movement of persons with a long-stay visa). It says, a third-country national holding a long-stay visa (D) issued by a Member State should be allowed to travel to other Member States for three months in any six-month period, under the same conditions as the holder of a residence permit.

Read official documentation here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ … 32010R0265

hold on to your pants... this might help enlighten everybody:

3.      National Visas
The national visa of “D” category is granted to the certain individuals who are to be studying, working or permanently residing in one of the Schengen countries. The national visa can be of a single entry, granted to the people who are in need of residing in the Schengen country for a certain period of time and for a sole purpose after which they shall return to their country. On the other hand a multi-entry national visa is also granted for certain individuals, allowing its holder to travel in and out of this Schengen country as he/she pleases and also travel throughout the whole Schengen Area without additional visa requirements.
Advertisements

In order to obtain a multi entry national visa, one must meet the certain criteria:
An international student program will grant a visa for a period of not more than one year.
An international student that is about to start a full course of studies in one of the Schengen countries. Again the visa is issued for a period of one year with the possibility of extending it.
A pedagogical work at a higher institution or research center in any of the Schengen countries, regarding the person and its close family members.
A professional who is traveling in any of the Schengen countries due to its expertise be it a sportsman, an artist or any other professional of its kind with the purpose of sharing its expertise.
Emergency cases as a medical condition that prevents the individual leave the Schengen Area at the designated time frame.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/