Bringing unopened seed packets from USA to Costa Rica

I have been looking at answers that are over 5 yrs old about bringing in seed packets
(unopened and sealed) and I'm still looking for up to date answers. Does anyone know if we can bring them when we move to CR? Or can we buy heirloom seeds there?

You are not supposed to bring seeds into the country. If found, they will probably be confiscated. Very limited selection of seeds are available here.

GinnyP wrote:

I have been looking at answers that are over 5 yrs old about bringing in seed packets
(unopened and sealed) and I'm still looking for up to date answers. Does anyone know if we can bring them when we move to CR? Or can we buy heirloom seeds there?

Hola Ginny!

Thinking about you question and at the same time thinking of how customs works here, I had to chuckle.  Once you're here a while you may look back and do the same.

Customs in CR is "nothing" like going through a North American airport.  Most of the time you can bring pretty much anything you want in.  Within reason of course.

Your seeds as an example.  You could make 20 trips down with them in your luggage, they may be aware that they are there and the customs agents won't say a word.  Then, some guy is bored one day and he will tell you that they are not allowed and will simply confiscate them.  Keep in mind that customs agents are paid less than $600 per month.  Simply put, if it's not something truly illegal, they really do not care and don't want to put in the effort to say anything.

Bring them with you.  The worst that can happens is that they confiscate them.   :cool:

- Expat Dave

For future reference on restricted goods being shipped/sent into Costa Rica

Remember that growing veggies in the tropics is not the same as growing them in North America and short day seeds usually grow better....however, the insects love new stuff.

Gracis Dave
We are planning on moving down there. Not sure where, but we are looking!
Know of any good places at altitude over 3500? Close to a good town with a farmers markets?
Tks for any tips