How Puerto Rico Lost Its Home-Grown Food, But Might Find It Again

Good read. I always wonder why P.R. did not grow more food. So much land and great weather. Would be nice to see this work.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 … d-it-again

Unfortunately during the early to mid 80s up to the late 90s the factory jobs drove away the farm jobs in the island. Then, sad to say, the puertoricans started getting used to the government support. So there was no workers to help with farming.

Some of it is coming back, lots of interest in growing locally. Plus, lots of people are growing on their own property, we actually have several trees and plants growing on our backyard.

Interesting, we're still looking for a good home grown tomato in PR.

Sitka wrote:

Interesting, we're still looking for a good home grown tomato in PR.

Don't know what part of the island you're at, down the road from us is a local guy that have gardens with all organic farming. He even use the water from the irritation channel, nor even tap water. He sells the vegetables, fruits and plants. He also makes rustic furniture out of wood.

He have a fb profile "la casa del árbol "

Some Puerto Ricans are waking up to sustainability and cottage industry. It is building momentum and local support is necessary to allow it to grow. Maybe once it gets better established the community can develop a mainland market. I plan on being a part of this movement once my building sells on the mainland. Fingers crossed as it may happen soon.