Retire at 35 and Would Like to Start a Family in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

I am a 35 year old male living in New York, NY and am currently considering the thought of retiring and moving overseas.  I've determined that I will have approx. $100K to buy a house and will have approximately $1200 of after-tax income to survive on during the remainder of time on this lovely planet.

I am particularly interested in the cost of living in Ecuador, the type of house I can buy for approx. $100k, and the prospects of meeting a nice girl and starting a family in Ecuador. 

I know costs vary throughout Ecuador, but I know I'd like to live in the mountains for weather purposes.  I've heard great things about Cuenca, Cotacacchi, and Loja.  I've looked at numerous real estate websites in Ecuador to determine how "much" (sq. footage, amenities) of a house I can purchase with 100K, but I wonder if there is any inflation of the prices on these websites that are written all in English and appear to cater to Expats.  Some of the houses listed on these websites are not all that much cheaper than what I can purchase in upstate New York.

I plan to rent an apartment for a considerable amount of time prior to purchasing a house and I'm also considering not purchasing a house at all and just renting for the very long term, although I would leave myself vulnerable to inflating rental prices over time.

Can anyone comment on how Americans are perceived by locals in Ecuador?  I imagine that we are a minority in dramatic fashion in some of these cities.  I do speak some "basic" Spanish, but wonder how difficult it would be to meet a nice girl in Ecuador, knowing that I have some communication limitations.

Anyhow, I encourage any all to comment as I hope this doesn't become a post with few responses.  Any comments on anything including housing prices, cost of living, and romance in Ecuador is highly welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

There are posts about how to rent/buy in Cuenca
gringosabroad.com/how-to-rent-or-buy-housing-in-cuenca/

gringosabroad.com/what-to-expect-when-renting-a-house-in-ecuador/

p.s. GringosAbroad is not my blog and I am not trying to promote it. I think these posts have answers for the question.

Hi Bill,

welcome to Expat.com.

I hope you manage to find answers to your questions on Expat.com, you'll find that the members are most helpful ;)

Kind regards and best of luck to you,
Haf

Please email me direct for further information.

Hello Bill:

Based on what you have stated, your investment of $100K on a home would probably allow you to get the residency status you would need to be able to live in Ecuador for the rest of your life.  If you were to rent an apartment or house, you would be required to place $30K in the bank to acquire residency (which funds you could later place in real estate if you wish.)  For a more complete answer it would be best to contact a local attorney here in Ecuador who specializes in Visas.

As for living on 1200 a month -- it is quite doable if you have a sense of frugality and beer rather than champagne tastes, although splurges on some rather fine Chilean wines would be quite accessible. 

And to your next question -- finding a nice Ecuadoriana to start a family -- let's say they will be beating a path to YOUR door as you will be the rich gringo!  Of course with anything as serious as a wife an family, take your time and choose wisely!  Ecuador is very big on family as you will come to see and children are very important and raised close to their parents' hearts.  Breast feeding is the norm -- and it is not uncommon to see women in the mall taking a breather on benches with their infant to 2 year old babies/toddlers curled up against their chests discretely.  And it is consider very manly to carry ones child -- it is a definition of "macho" that is very Ecuadorian.  Excpect your in-laws to be a big part of your life for holidays and celebrations and of course to help with the children and your future neices and nephews (and cousins and aunts and uncles and great grandparents too.)

As for weather -- keep in mind that the weather can be quite damp and chilly in the mountains in the cold months.  And in turn, it can be quite delightful on the coast with breezes from the Pacific keeping things fresh.  Plan to come visit some of the coast and the mountains at least twice -- February/March (the heart of summer) and July/August (the deep winter) -- and get a first hand experience of the weather patterns.  The Amazon (Oriente) is the hot steamy equatorial weather you expect, but the moutnains and coast (Sierra and Costa) weather might surprise you, so don't make any decisions before you travel here and get that first hand experience.

Check  out the website TUCASA.com for some ideas about what is available to buy -- and then remember that negotiating is big in Latin America so imagine the final price would be 25% to 30% less.  Depending on where you locate and what materials you choose to build with and if you chose to build from property or upgrade an existing structure -- you could easily afford a 3/2 house on a half acre or more.  Keep in mind that moorish architecture has a big influence on homes here and most are surrounded by a high wall opening to a patio and then the entrance of the house.  This is both a security feature and simply the way things are built.  The visual deterrence to would-be robbers is something to keep in mind -- the wall is expected and if not there appears to be an invitation.

Ecuador -- unlike Panama or Guatemala -- has a very open and welcoming feel for us Gringos, mainly because the USA has never been a big influence here.  We are pretty much pervceived by how we appear in movies and television and most important by how the 'last Gringo' treated whomever you meet. And for the record, you are a Gringo if you are not Latin American -- it is not a negative nomenclature per se, although as i mentioned depending on the most recent gringo -- if they were a jerk or just plain stupid -- you may have a preconceived notion to deal with.  A smile goes a long way here and unlike Mexico or the Caribbean, people are not waiting with their hands out for a tip for anything they may (or may not) do.

Do practice you Spanish -- while you can find folks who speak English, your experience will be much more fun and fulfilling if you speak (or even attempt to speak) the language.  And unlike Paris, they don't mind if you butcher a verb or a pronunciation -- they might laugh but will then help you with your learning curve.  And "mime" and pointing helps a lot!

Again do plan to come south for a visit -- take the time to see what there is to offer -- and enjoy the adventure!

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

Hi,
All those areas are great, but each one has totally different weather and environments. Loja, is remote and warmer than all those you mentioned. Cuenca is large and very colonial in is structure. Lots of Gringos here, with a good community. Cotocachi is higher up, chillier and smaller than all that you have mentioned.
It has a good Gringo community, with alot of indigenous.

You need to come visit. Look for yourself and see what you like. The blogs and forums and adds on the net are higher than what you can find if you work with folks in the city. It's hard to tell the neighborhoods around the house you are looking at.

Please come visit. It's a big investment into your future, and you need to be sure that what you pick is going to be what makes you happy in the time you have left on this earth.

Good Luck ;)

Karen