How to bring your car to Kuwait

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Kuwait, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Kuwait?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Kuwait, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Kuwait?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna I can assist you in this however I need more info you can mail me xxx

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hanskrish, she's not asking for herself, she's stimulating conversation in the forum by posting a topic expats might relate to.

without a kuwaiti sponsoring the vehicle to bring it in by signing it under their name, it is not possible ot bring in vehicles to kuwait.

that is the short answer.

Hi,

Expats are not allowed to import cars to Kuwait.

the only solution is that a Kuwait Person to import your car on his name "as if he bought it from you" then he register the car in Kuwait traffic department in his name, then later change the registration to your name as if he sold it to you.

regards,
Ihab

Well no body is allowed to import or export cars in KUWAIT except local citizen or dealers. In case it was allowed it is still useless to import, because the cars are cheaper here than any other Country we belong. Kuwait is such a dream country where any body can drive his/her dream car. Car prices are cheaper and available in easy installments with out a huge interest. one can also take a used car from some one or a certified car from some known companies, these used cars are almost new as the roads here are  very neat a clean, fuel is 100% pure and is cheaper.

Driving licence is the most important key element before the car, which is bit difficult for some professionals. But if you are graduated and you do have some good profession then you are eligible to take the driving licence. in current situation your salary criteria is KD 600.000 as of year 2017.

Cars are available in any models and brands here, Speed is fast and driving is rough , one must take care while driving. A local training is must although you are a master driver. Followup of rules and regulations are very important. The violation fine is very huge, it depends upon the violation.

Kuwait is an extremely hot country and fiery hot in the summer. Local cars are better. They meet the standards needed for extreme weather conditions.  importing  your car to Kuwait and taking it back with you when you decide to leave Kuwait for good is not really a good idea. Besides,  car transportation expenses by sea or road  are not low. As for customs duties, I am sorry, I don't have any idea.

Buying a car in Kuwait is very convinient, on the condition that the car is just one  to five years old. The mechanics in the country are mostly interested in the money in your pocket, rather than fixing the car as it should be. Since there is no permanent residency in Kuwait, almost every expatriate  thinks of saving as much money as they could before he leaves Kuwait or is fired. As a result money is the target; not the service. Another headache is the annual vehicle testing. At the station you can usually see blatant discrimination. If the driver is local, the testing is done in less than a minute. if the guy behind the steering wheel, is an expatriate,  he  will be ordered to floor the accelerator pedal . (Their way to find out about fumes) but the perfect way to shorten the car engine life expectancy!  The examination is carried out in an arrogant ,disrespectful for the norms and the poor expatriate you are.
A car is a must in Kuwait, but you have to bear with the consequences with a grin on the face if you are to work in Kuwait for some years.
Good luck!

Hello,
When I moved to Kuwait, I never came with my car cos I actually thought of the stress involved...you know ... the customs, the immigration and the rest. Besides, I have the intention of getting a car here in Kuwait so I left the one I was previously using.
For those planning to bring their car, firstly, you need to know the worth of the car and if it worths going through the stress.
Secondly, I realized that cars could be easily owned here ... well.. that depends on your paycheck.
Thirdly, considering the cost of driving license... cos the believe here is that if you can afford the cost of cars here .. then you should be able to pay for driving license which is a little bit expensive. But those that can transfer their licenses will have an advantage, well, if you are from the Middle East or you have a residency permit from any of the countries in the Middle East aside from Kuwait.
Just my take!

"Kuwait is the dream country for cars"lol, well, It depends on what you had for dinner the night before! However, as an expert in this field and with great degree of certainty I say your statement is false and is only base on your opinion,not a fact. Here is some Fact for you. US and Canada are the biggest Markets for New and used cars in the world, just to give you an idea, one of Manheim car auction in Us sales over 15,000 cars in a given week to dealers like me, and they have over 100's of location all over the world, go figure, not to mention Adesa auction another giant Auto action dealer in Us. So, with all respect to my friends here. Not Kuwait but the entire Middle East combine will not come close, and I like Kuwait.
Needless to say there are some truth in the mix of your statement. Is all depends on  The year, model, condition report,CarFax, etc.
check it out,  Kuwait custom law only allows newer cars that are 4 yrs old to inter the country, for example, if you importing a car from outside, it can not be older then 2013, and for the classic and antique cars 40 yrs.. 
Lastly, I hope this was helpful and didn't  offend anyone,no hard feelings bro..peace out

My device, if you looking to buy new or used luxury cars like, 2014 and up like Mercedes ,BMW Lexus, Range Rover..and many other American cars, it's worth doing A little research, you'll be surprised , it will pay off at the end,  in some cases 6 to7 thousand dinar.
Do the comparison :

Usa car site:
Www.cars.com
EBay motors
Auto trader.com
Craigslist.com

Kuwait car site:
Q8car.com
Q8carsusa.com
4sale.com

Hi
H R U. I don't advise you to import your car in to KT because the car's running here are manufactured specifically to meet the climate difficulties in this area beside the car's here are not expensive.
You know i came from Europe so it's not advisable to bring my car to KT for the mentioned reasons above.
Please keep in touch for more advises .
Best regards & have a nice day
Tom Kowalski

Cars being sold here are no different than anywhere else, that's a urban (desert?) myth.

Any car is expected to perform well in 50+ degrees desert climate with properly functioning cooling system and filters.

That being said, you are right, it is more of a hassle to import a car then getting one locally.