How to bring your car to Hungary

polowonder :

Thank you so very much fluffy2560 for all the work (research) you've done.

The Porsche is a 3.2 Carrera, 231 Horse Power, no cathalist convertor, injection (the Bosch Motronic (that gave really good numbers of pollution in those days. But it remains a sportscar, so the Cc2 must be quite high, compared to 'newer' cars.

The figures you mention are not cheap, but at least a bit more reasonable than what Spain charges.

I had all these details from other cars and imports I've made in different countries so it was easy to find the data on my computer.

The problem with the HU government car people is they don't care about the technical details.  My imported car had a full California emissions package but they didn't care about that.  They don't give a damn about discussing it.  They looked at equivalent models sold in Europe and used that for the basis of their calculations.   Californian emissions must be higher than Euro 4 at least but my import was classified as Euro 3.

I am currently looking at buying another US car just for fun.  I will be severely punished financially by the HU car people for having such horrible and radical thoughts.

fluffy2560 :
polowonder :

I have no problem with German. I speak 4 languages, and als (a little) bit of Spanish. But I think with English and German you can manage in HU.

Everything official is in Hungarian.  There's nothing in German in the public administration.

Day to day, English and German might be OK at the supermarket but Hungarian is unavoidable anywhere else.

Most civil servants will only converse in Hungarian (and very few can actually speak another language - just depends on the level, location and education).

Of course I will have to find a person preferably an Hungarian to assist me.

In Spain you have those 'gestorias' who help you with official business (not for free of course), and some agencies that sell property also do that for you.
Of course if you buy from a private person, you don't have have that kind of help.

polowonder :

In Spain you have those 'gestorias' who help you with official business (not for free of course), and some agencies that sell property also do that for you.
Of course if you buy from a private person, you don't have have that kind of help.

There's a thing here which is what happens behind the scenes. 

In Spain, the gestorias aren't likely to be involved I suppose in bribery and corruption. 

But unfortunately here, there's a reasonable chance that someone has to be paid to make it go faster/correctly.

I had negative experience with local guru as well. Costs a fortune and still had to check all papers and payments myself cause was not sure if all was done legal. So, better yourself with a native friend/partner.

Alexander Spagin :

I had negative experience with local guru as well. Costs a fortune and still had to check all papers and payments myself cause was not sure if all was done legal. So, better yourself with a native friend/partner.

Just to chip in here......

Some parts of the overall costs are fully documented as they are government fees easily found and even displayed on notices at the car places doing this kind of work. 

I paid 40K HUF on top of all that for someone to do the running around with the paperwork. 

I thought the 40K HUF was reasonable because of avoiding us wasting so much time and hassle.

If you receive the number plates, the window sticker and registration document, then it was legally completed.

I do have a plate and ownership paper but all in all was not fast cause my German temporary plate and insurance expired and had to order a trailer to move the car. But, next time will do myself, experience costs a lot :)  Not legal cause he paid some money ~10k huf (without invoice) in registration office or make papers faster.

Alexander Spagin :

I do have a plate and ownership paper but all in all was not fast cause my German temporary plate and insurance expired and had to order a trailer to move the car. But, next time will do myself, experience costs a lot :)  Not legal cause he paid some money ~10k huf (without invoice) in registration office or make papers faster.

Yes, I reckon I paid about the same to make it go faster.  That was within the 40K HUF. It still took about 3 weeks to get it all done.   Hard to say if the guy took extra money for himself as no-one knows where the money really went - almost no paperwork.  But if you have the official papers and plates, then realistically, it's just job done and best to put it down to the cost of doing business here in HU.

Hi,
Do you know how much it costs to import an old-timer (UK car is from 1988) into Hungary ?
Thanks for any info.

Hello PKB222,
Yes, I can sort the price for you - send me the Registration Number & I should be able to get all the data I need.
I can often change the headlamps internally to suit LHD usage, and can add a left rear, or central rear fog light, if it doesn’t already have either.
You need to be aware that tyres have to be fitted in axle pairs, so the front two must match, and the rear two must match, which is not always the case with Uk cars ...,.
Bear in mind that after Brexit, any car brought to Hungary from the UK could attract ‘outside of EU’ import duties 😝
Email direct on *** if you’d like me to delve into this for you.
Thanks
Toby

Moderated by Diksha 6 months ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details only through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Angolhapsi

Thanks for the reply.

Can you send me a PM, or let me know how I can contact you.

Cheers

Hello again PKB222,
I see that not only have they deleted my email address that I sent you in the last reply, but that you still have no name on your posts, and choose not to use mine, as provided, in this thread. 😳
As I’m a Dinosaur, I can’t readily see how to PM you - I’d also have to ask why you didn’t / couldn’t PM me,  with the content of your last entry on this thread ??  We’d already be there if you had 😂
Maybe I’m misunderstanding 😉
Toby

Angolhapsi :

As I’m a Dinosaur, I can’t readily see how to PM you - I’d also have to ask why you didn’t / couldn’t PM me,  with the content of your last entry on this thread ??  We’d already be there if you had 😂
Maybe I’m misunderstanding 😉
Toby

If you want to PM someone just click on their user name (shown at the top of a posting) anywhere in the thread and then choose Send Message.   After that it's pretty much obvious (and the same as posting a message).

So, it would be REALLY easy for somebody to PM me, if they’re looking for help, rather than asking me to PM THEM in the thread, no ??!! 😝
And add their actual name at the same time, methinks .....
#UserName
#Impersonal

Angolhapsi :

So, it would be REALLY easy for somebody to PM me, if they’re looking for help, rather than asking me to PM THEM in the thread, no ??!! 😝
And add their actual name at the same time, methinks .....
#UserName
#Impersonal

It's easy for anyone to PM...... If they want to add their name, that's completely up to the member.

Absolutely!
Chose to be personable or not 😝😉

Hi, Do you know an agent that can assist me with the process of registration of a vehicle?

Noraessa :

Hi, Do you know an agent that can assist me with the process of registration of a vehicle?

There are several people here in these forums who would do this as a service.

But can you give more details about the car - your profile says Canadian expat living north of Lake Balaton. 

Are you bringing the car to Hungary as a Canadian expat? Is it a Canadian or American car? How old is it? How long have you owned it?  Size of the engine and type of fuel (gasoline or diesel).   

The reason these questions are asked is because you would not only be bringing the car to Hungary, you'd be bring it into the EU.

Are you a Hungarian national with an address card?