How to bring your car to Barbados

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Barbados, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Barbados?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Barbados, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Barbados?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Unless there is some unusual reason (a friend bought in a car with adapted controls for his disabled son)  it is not worth importing your own car.

There are plenty of cars to buy both new and used.

The taxes and duties on cars are very high think plus 250% on the CIF - if it is your car setting that will be a potential problem - no agreement they wont let it out of the port and it will rack up scary port charges while it remain there.

The age limit is 5 to 7 years

The process is not complicated - any shipper in your country can arrange to put it in a container with you other belongings - once here you'll need a customs agent to get it to clear the port, there are many who advertise their services.

No emissions regs here, no annual testing, other than a cursory check by the insurance company when you renew your insurance.

You will have to register the car here before it leaves the port.

Unless the car is an exotic of some kind you'll find it simpler to just buy here.

Following thread

I agree with Ebbie100 as it is probably a better idea to buy it here, unless you have something special in the car. Customs is getting more diligent in their assessments, as I am reminded of this every time I come into the airport. There are shippers who will handle the customs if you decide to ship your car, but you have to ask up front, as not all shippers will do the customs end.