Need urgent suggestion, Please

My company giving me posting in Nairobi as a sales manager to take care telecom Industries,
Company already started to arrange a work permit for the same,
Meanwhile company sending me there on business visa for 2 months and by the time they will arrange the work permit…
Please suggest is it a normal practice

Enpk

Welcome on board Enpk ;)

I hope that other members will bring their input to your interesting queries soon.

Best Regards & Good luck with your move

Hi,

Yes, this is a normal practice but ensure you have a valid contract with the company while here on a Business Visa. You cannot be paid in Kenya unless you have a work permit which is why you need to have an agreement with your company on your earnings and expense reimbursement while in Kenya.

Best of luck!

doesnt look normal.
what is the name of the said company.we have an excessively vibrant telkom industry (kenya was first in world to introduce mobile bank!google "mpesa") so i cannot imagine what you are getting into?
are you able to talk to them for clarification.

what is the name of your company . i have been in nairobi years and i may be able to get a feel of whats going on and tell you.

peter

Thanks friends

This might be common practice, because work permits take 3 or more months to arrange.  Am not sure that it is strictly legal though, as a business visa is issued for short term business reasons (visiting area office and so on).  It is illegal to work in Kenya (even voluntarily) without a work permit.  I am aware that some multinationals do employ people illegally.  The government stance is increasingly tough though.

Regarding mobile banking; the M-pesa concept was initially trialled in the UK, but wasn't successful.  Kenya may not have been the first, but I understand that it does lead the way in mobile money transfer.