Dutch secondary schools for English speaking student?

Hello
We are moving from California to Groningen and I wonder if our 15 years old son can go to Dutch public secondary school, is there a class for english speaking students?
Thank you

Welcome on board yelena1112 ;)

I hope that other members will recommend you some institutions around that region soon.

Best of luck

Regards

Hi there

I am also from California living in Utrecht. Where are you from in California? I am from the SF bay area. We also still live in that area half the time too.

For schools, you can try looking at the British schools.

britishschool.nl  offers a pretty good enriched program. They have a couple locations. You might want to check there for a start.

Most 15 year olds are already speaking english. The kids start getting English about 10 years old.  However, I am not aware of any of the public schools offering english classes, even though they are learning English. My stepchildren are taught in Dutch only. But I have not investigated it.

When are you moving to the Netherlands?

Hi
We are from Palo alto and we are moving to Groningen in June-july when our son finish his school. So far i found only one option it's an International school which offer IB program but it's not cheap... That's why I am looking for public high schools but i think they do not have the programs for english speaking students.

But thanks for the above information :)

I live in Groningen :) There are a lot of international students here. (university) for secondary schools I am not so sure.

try this one: noorderpoort.nl/volwassenen/inburgering/opleidingen/Pages/VoorbereidendjaarhbowovooranderstaligestudenteninGroningen-Gro.aspx

It's in Dutch.. so ask me if something is unclear.
It's a course to train your son for HBO (higher education) or university. Something like secondary school, only for foreign children. He needs to take an exam first for letting him do the course.

Thank you
I tried to find out some information from local secondary schools but unfortunately they do not have a program in English for our 15 years old so they offer me only International School of Groningen which is private...

hmm, did you try and talk with the Groningen community about this?

However, it will be better for him to learn the language asap so he will make Dutch friends here. It's hard enough to emigrate at that age, especially without having any friends who help you on your way.
(not to be mean!)