Viet Kieu attorney thinking about moving to Viet Nam

Hi Everyone,

I'm an American Viet Kieu, and I want to move to Viet Nam for a few years.  I am a licensed California attorney with a mien thi thuc. 

Do you think that I could find legal work in US immigration and US taxes to cover my living expenses while in Viet Nam?  I would like to keep busy and also not dip into my savings. 

I would like to be in Da Nang or Hoi An. 

This is all very preliminary and may not happen for a few years.  I've just started my research and appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you for your help.

Tri

I have an acquaintance who makes a living assisting people in obtaining US visas, student visas in particular.  He was a fairly late immigrant to the US, about 20 at the time, but is a Michigan State graduate and was a paralegal in California working on immigration before he moved home.  When I met him he was teaching a beginner's English course at night and was a translator for a high powered District 1 Australian law firm by day.   He quit both those jobs so he must be doing OK.

Of course he was not a practicing lawyer.  I am sure there are websites for Vietnamese law associations that can enlighten you far better than here, on what would be required to practice legally.  If you are fully bilingual, including legal terminology, there must be a lot of opportunity dealing with foreign interests even if you have to partner up with a local attorney.  Da Nang does seem to have a growing expat population so tax services might work well there too.  Of course you could probably make a bundle in HCMC but why leave one smog filled city for another.   :mad:

Intersting question. Not even sure if they have a law exam or you need any equivalent to having passed board exams here. I suppose anyone can help out another legally in much of what is done here. But law here is nothing like the law you are accustomed to that is based on common law. I would think there would be a fairly good need for a person that can navigate the law and is dual language. I know on this forum the issue is always coming up "where can I find an English speaking lawyer". But not sure how well you could do until you learn the back channel connection and know who to pay off and how much. Then the obvious question, why would you revert to the terribly low pay here for what you can earn in America. Yes, I know, many lawyers hater the field and the pressure of billable ours. As for representation or doing tax returns, I doubt there is much need here. Everyone I know here uses TurboTax or one of the many others. The immigration paperwork for those wanting to immigrate to America is pretty strait forward for most and they navigate it themselves. But you might be able to do a package deal to easy the headache.
Hope you will keep us posted. I hope it works for you, because if your fees are okay I will use you.