Job hunting experience for expats

Hello there,

I'm considering moving to Jordan and have been doing my research regarding this, however, I would like to have some insight regarding how hard would it be for an expat to find a job.

The work experience I have is pretty decent, in the corporate environment, from IT, to account management and HR services.

I have seen posts here where expats have said that they were able to land a job, but I would still like to hear more of your own personal experiences.

I'm mostly concerned if jordanian employers are willing to hire expats, if they are more inclined to a local than a foreigner for their available vacancies, also if the salaries for an expat would be different from a local (being employed in the same company), and most importantly, how long did it take for other expats to find a job.

The main issue here would be regarding residency, since that is something I would like to secure first.

Thank you in advance :)

Regards,
Dem

Do you speak arabic?  Will you not have residency unless sponsored through an employer?  Are you OK with making $500 or about that a month?

Hello,

Thank you for answering.
I don't speak Arabic as of yet, it is something I will be working on once arrived.

As a newly moved expat, I will not have residency. I am aware that I would become a resident once I am employed (although I hope there is another way of getting residency, besides getting married with a local, an option which I cannot opt for)

Appreciate all the insight.

Best regards,
Dem

Just for my own curiosity, why do you want to move to Jordan?  Pay is low, unemployment is high, and it is very expensive.  Not that it doesn't have some good points, but....  I don't know how sponsoring for residency works getting it through an employer, but unless you have a specialized skill, I think this may deter employers from hiring you vs a local, just because it's extra work.  Maybe in the hospitality industry if you speak multiple languages that could give you an advantage.  Seems like most expats who come to Jordan for work have a job lined up beforehand.   Other than that, you really have to know someone to get anything decent.

Welcome on board  :cheers:

Kip98 is right in what she pointed out.
Besides all the practical things there is something else you might consider : the work mentality. It's so different than you are used to. I  hear from many people that this one of the difficulties to deal with and it's not always easy.
You can somehow being prepared to read into the culture, history and traditions to understand it better as this is a huge part of the daily life.

Considering that you are planning to arrive in a country on visa other than work visa, be ready to be bounced from place to place and end up at the middle of no where. Your best bet is to apply for job and come on work visa.
You can choose country like Qatar where WC will be held in 2022 and market is booming there, also salary is tax free.

Hello,

Thank you for your advice guys.
To answer Ehtesham, I'm not considering any other country.

In regards to what Primadonna and Kip said, I've did my research about the work mentality, that's why I made this post. I truly wanted to hear regarding the job hunting experience in Jordan (more specifically Amman).

Besides my original questions, now I'm curious how hard and how long it took for an expat to land a job before arriving to Jordan, considering that I know only of 2 recruitment platforms (not sure how successful they are).... Or if expats were able to land one in the first place!

Job hunting is hard from abroad, whereas being already there might ease up the process and have a higher success rate in filling a vacancy.

If you have any experience in job hunting as an expat in Jordan I would love to hear it.

Kind regards,
Dem

@Primadonna

Just to see if we are on the same page here, if we share the same idea, could you please explain what you mean through work mentality and what are your personal points about it.

I don't think there is a way to get residency without being sponsored by an employer or a spouse, unless perhaps if you are independently wealthy then there's probably an exception.

Jordan is a very educated society, many people have college degrees.  If you don't have one I don't know how well you would do in a field such as IT, etc.  The unemployment rate is very high as well.  I applied for many jobs on Bayt and akhtaboot and never received any interest, (I have an advanced degree and 8+ years experience in my field and had residency).  Everyone's advice was that I should just teach English.  I'm sure I could have found something if I had tried super hard but without arabic it's not that easy, and there's a lot of other complications that may not apply to you, but that's already in another thread :p. I'm not saying it's impossible, but don't expect it to be like the Gulf countries, you probably won't make much more than to be able to basically survive, most likely sharing an apartment.  I highly would encourage you to network with people possibly from your own country who reside in Jordan to share their advice with you.  If you come without residency and then get sponsored by an employer (maybe hastily) I'd hate for you to get taken advantage of.   Jordan is a lovely country but there are a lot of challenges.  Best of luck to you.

Demetra Cristina wrote:

@Primadonna

Just to see if we are on the same page here, if we share the same idea, could you please explain what you mean through work mentality and what are your personal points about it.

For example: its difficult to get connected to co workers. Maybe you can go out together but invited at their home is one step ahead. Friday is family dayso everyone has his own obligations.
People are curious and ask you many ( personal) things but in return you know not much.

Men will avoid you (perhaps in the begining) due the fact that it's not common to interact with the opposite gender. Shaking hands you can forget most of the time.

Making appointments? They're never on time.

Why should it be done today as there's a tomorrow or the day after....

Don't assume that everyone speaks the same level in English. Miscommunication is common.
People are not direct in what they say or mean, it takes some experience before you figure it out. For example: insha'allah means if God willing but to many times its been used as a polite no  (no want, no like it or you,  not into it etcetera )

Are we on the same page or what have you heard?