Bar/Restaurant work

Hi guys,

I lived in La Linea and worked in Gibraltar in summer 2002, i just turned up and walked around all the bars/restaurants until i found some work.  Is it still the case that you can just do this?  I want to come back in April this year, only this year I will be staying for around 2 years.  I used to pay 200 Euro a month near the bull ring in La Linea - it was a very small, 3 bed, not particularly nice apartment, but hey - it did me ok.  I mean, it really was tiny!

This time round i can pay more, but don't mind the walk into Gib and will be sharing with 2-3 others, we will double up the rooms so if anyone knows if we can get a 2 bed apartment for around 300 Euros? 

Also, what are the hourly salaries roughly these days? I am willing to work all the hours God sends.

also, i have 2 years sales experience for a very good publishing house in London.  I hear there are many online gaming companies in Gibraltar these days, i could maybe transfer my experience here, does anyone need sales staff?  Im very good but would rather do restaurant/ bar work as im not a fan of the office :-)  What would the salaries be like here - I was an Account Manager

Thanks for any advice.

Hi laurataylor83, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Check out the Gibraltar classifieds > accommodation section and jobs section. You may post adverts there as well. It might help you in your search.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will give you some advice.

Christine

Hi, I also lived in Gibrlatar for few months but in 2004 and remember finding bar/restaurant jobs during summer was easy, while living in Spain was very cheap.

Property: Now you would be looking at around €500+ per month for a decent two bedroom flat in La Linea, with Sterling/Euro at €1.15 or less, the rent will take much more of your Gibraltar wages than in 2002. I don't think the salaries has increased a lot since then in GBP terms.

The smartest way to find a job in Gibraltar is quite old fashioned: get the local Yellow Pages book (available for example in overseas calling shops), get addresses of all companies you are interested in working for and post them CV + personalised cover letter addressing it to HR of the company.
Eary summer is the best time for job hunting in Gibraltar

Net salaries are quite low in comparison to London as the income tax is huge from the first penny you earn. At a restaurant you would expect to earn £5-£8 per hour as a waitress.

Good luck!

as an asian with work  permission visa in UK, can i also be eligible to work in Gibraltar?

Christine wrote:

Hi laurataylor83, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Check out the Gibraltar classifieds > accommodation section and jobs section. You may post adverts there as well. It might help you in your search.

I wish you good luck and i hope other members will give you some advice.

Christine

Hi gabbytrades,

Which country passport are you holding? Some part of Asia country is not allowed in Gibraltar without a visitor visa.

You will still need a work permit in Gibraltar even though you are holding a UK work permit right now.

Kueens,

I am from the Philippines, do u think i would need a separate Visa to be able to work in Gibraltar?
Thanks

Hi,
Yes, you do need a separate Visa to be able to work in Gibraltar.

I stayed in gib and la linea for over 2 yrs, I had bar/ waitress experience in the above jobs, would love to be back there sharing my life with the gibralterian friends I made, if u could help me find a job and apartment/room I would be there as soon as possible

Please try and find me a job/ apartment if you can as I would appreciate so so much, thank you , Angela

I lived in la linea for 2 yrs but worked in gib at the time, my daughter attended Jenny's nursery in gib while I worked there but I am not an ex pat so I don't understand why the ex pat keeps popping up, my daughter is now 19 with her own child and family and I just want to go back to gib and be with the gibralterians that I made such good friends with and never come back to Scotland, lol if possible, lol xxxx

@ Mcconnellangela2 > Please note that this thread is quite old.

If you are looking for a job and an accommodation, the best sections to post a free ad are the following :

- Jobs in Gibraltar
- Housing in Gibraltar

If you have any questions regarding expatriation, feel free to create a new thread on the Gibraltar forum.

Thanks and good luck,

Priscilla  :cheers: