Work permit questions

Hello there,

I may have the possibility to have a job in Mauritius for a year and I would like to know if my husband would be able to come and work if I obtain a work permit.

I also find hard to find all the right information regarding work permit and Residence permit. If you are in Mauritius with a wok permit, can you get a chance one day to become a resident? And are you allowed to buy a house with a work permit or residence permit? Does it also change depending on your nationality?

I am looking at the health system of the country and also what are the tings you are allowed to get on either a work permit or resident permit but can't find these information.
Anyone can help me with that from their own experiences or by giving me some web links?

Thanks so much.

Sarah

SarahFabian wrote:

Hello there,

I may have the possibility to have a job in Mauritius for a year and I would like to know if my husband would be able to come and work if I obtain a work permit.

I also find hard to find all the right information regarding work permit and Residence permit. If you are in Mauritius with a wok permit, can you get a chance one day to become a resident? And are you allowed to buy a house with a work permit or residence permit? Does it also change depending on your nationality?

I am looking at the health system of the country and also what are the tings you are allowed to get on either a work permit or resident permit but can't find these information.
Anyone can help me with that from their own experiences or by giving me some web links?

Thanks so much.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

The answer to the first question is normally yes, IF you are not in a 'skilled' labour category. This refers more to manual workers or those falling not under 'technical' or 'managerial' posts.

If you are in Mauritius and aspire to get a residency permit? Yes, every work permit carries a residence permit as you cannot work unless you have the residency permit. I'd believe your question is more about obtaining citizenship (?). This is very difficult if you are on work permit. Nothing changes based on your nationality. The same rules and principles apply. You are not allowed to buy house, unless under the proposed schemes (RES/IRS/PDS, etc.). They are selective / restrictive plans.

As for the health system, public hospitals are free (the quality of service is a different thing though). You would normally take an insurance cover to access private hospitals, or if you can afford, then insurance is not necessary as such - as access to their service is a paid one.

If you have any other questions, please feel free.

Regards
Nadeem

Hi Nadeem

What would be the approx cost of medical insurance for a family of 4?

Regards
Kerry

Each insurance company has its own tarif & rates - which also varies according to the type of cover you want. I won't be able to give you any approximate figure. I'd suggest you Google them up and contact them

Hi Sarah,

The answer to your first question I do not know.

As to work permit (called Occupation Permit):  the authority who issues the permit, is the Board of Investment (BOI). Everything you need to know can be found on their website:
http://op.investmauritius.com

If you have lived and worked in Mauritius on an Occupation Permit for three years consecutively whilst earning a salary higher than Rs 150,000 a month, you may apply for a Permanent Residence Permit (valid for 10 years). Some other conditions you need to fulfill like 'clean' health and not being convicted in your country of origin nor residence in last 10 years.

You are not allowed to buy a house, but you may buy an appartment as long as it is in a building consisting of Ground Floor +2 minimum and the minimum purchase price is Rs 6,000,000.  You do not have to have an Occupation Permit to purchase; this now applies to any foreigner (law changed in December 2016). There are other conditions but these are the main ones.

As for health system, best is to get yourself a good medical insurance as public hospitals are free of charge but they may not be up to the standard you may be used to. This will allow you to go to the private clinics available on the island. Cannot help you much more on this particular subject but I am sure you can find additional info through this forum.

Good luck!

Hi Mr.Nadeem

Can you suggest me an idea?

Is it possible to apply online occupational permit from India and come and search a job in Mauritius.

Regards
Altaf