Can you get Maltese Citizenship if you already have Citizenship?

Hello all

Just curious to know if a UK citizen was to move to Malta if they at some point could apply for Maltese Citizenship? does Malta allow a person to have another citizenship and to gain Maltese citizenship (if they qualify ofcourse). As I know Spain does not allow this? but does Malta?

You can find all informations about this topic here: https://identitymalta.com/dualmultiple-citizenship/

Cheers

mobilephone wrote:

Hello all

Just curious to know if a UK citizen was to move to Malta if they at some point could apply for Maltese Citizenship? does Malta allow a person to have another citizenship and to gain Maltese citizenship (if they qualify ofcourse). As I know Spain does not allow this? but does Malta?

Dual citizenship is allowed but unless you are 'buying a passport' it is unlikely that you will be granted citizenship unless you are of Maltese descent.
You are fully entitled to apply but don't hold your breath!

Ray

I have known of British people who retired to Malta in the last few years who applied for a Maltese Citizenship and they got it fine.

I think the more relevant document is https://identitymalta.com/acquisition-o … alisation/

this reads like a giant NO, PAY US to me.

mobilephone wrote:

I have known of British people who retired to Malta in the last few years who applied for a Maltese Citizenship and they got it fine.

Don't take this the wrong way but why ask the question then?

Most of the long term expats here would tell you it is not that easy!
Unless of course you mean 'Permanent Residency' not 'Citizenship'

Ray

I have heard of British people who have retired in Malta and got Maltese Citizenship but wanted to confirm if that was indeed the case and I don't know if they have to renouce their British Citizenship though? So my question is does Malta allow a person to have another citizenship and to gain Maltese citizenship and keep their orginal citizenship?

mobilephone wrote:

I have heard of British people who have retired in Malta and got Maltese Citizenship but wanted to confirm if that was indeed the case and I don't know if they have to renouce their British Citizenship though? So my question is does Malta allow a person to have another citizenship and to gain Maltese citizenship and keep their orginal citizenship?

There were links that answers your questions exactly.

Why would you want to take up Maltese citizenship?

Ah dinnae ken Gozomo!? Who do you mean? don't take it the wrong way but my questions were " if they at some point could apply for Maltese Citizenship? does Malta allow a person to have another citizenship and to gain Maltese citizenship (if they qualify ofcourse)"

I was just curious to know, not nessecarily for me personally.
Why would someone want to take up Maltese citizenship? Would you like to take up Maltese citizenship Gozomo? Could be propa Braw Aye, Ah dinnae ken Gozomo?

- Thread temporarily closed -

Closed