Tips for Writers Looking for Work

Hello!
I am a freelance writer in Colombia. But, it is harder than ever to find work.
I have two blogs and almost 5 years of blogging/writing experience.
My work has been published in places like International Living, World Nomads, Colombia Reports etc.

But, I need to find people who are looking for good Colombia content. I also need people who are willing to pay dignified wages too. Recently an editor contacted me, only to drift away without even negotiating after I named a "median" price I am usually paid for work.

Any tips on how I can find people looking for really nice high quality Colombia content?

I wish you luck!  The basic problem is the supply outstrips the demand when everyone and their brother is blogging, good quality or bad quality, literately or illiterately...

Just a suggestion:  If you are fairly fluent in Spanish make the rounds in person if you can, to newspaper offices in Colombia and specifically Pereira, pitching to them an on-line English-language section/column or translation services from Spanish into English for some of their articles.  It may at least give you a foot in the door for future work.

Thats actually a great idea, to talk to local newspapers.

I am the only blogger in the Coffee Axis though....well the only one who writes with regularity on both websites. And, in other publications I have been called an authority on the topic (of the coffee axis) which I don't really see other bloggers in Colombia talking about. Even Colombia Reports has very little on the Coffee Region.

figure out the difference between blogging and reporting. Once you have done that, your can call yourself a proper journalist, and if you're good, you won't find it hard to find outlets. The world doesn't need bloggers, it needs reporters.

Interesting perspective. When I launched my second blog last year, I started recording my interviews and striving for more accuracy. And, I am now taking higher quality pictures too. Does that count?

The thing that makes me cringe (in calling myself a journalist), is that I never went to journalism school, so if anyone asks me if I am "qualified"...well, I try to write high quality, good content from good sources.