Help for Aussies with Medical Insurance

Hi all, I have done a little research on this ...but hitting a few stumbling blocks!! My Hubby and I are coming over to Hoi an in May to base ourselves there for awhile , then going to and throw to discover different parts of the Country. At the moment I am looking for Medical/travel Insurance...
Ringing around over here in oz I am getting Comprehensive quotes, but because we will plan to come home say  6 months for few weeks then back again, I am getting told the policy will then cancel out once we hit Australia and therefore will have to renew policy.
So, can anybody over there offer suggestions on what we may use...maybe I should be looking at private health cover within Vietnam? Perhaps.
Thanks in advance Hazel

I have been living in Hcmc for the last 6 months during which time I have attempted  to arrange medical insurance only this week having decided to go with HSBC in Vietnam.Insurance here is a minefield with the subject coming up a least once a month on the forum with lots of others asking more or less the same questions.
There are lots of motorbikes/ mopeds on the road here with the locals having next to no regard for safety hence there are lots of accidents which is a question to be asked if you are to go with an international insurer and if you are to drive 2 wheels....would you be covered in the event of an accident?.Having looked at many international insurers,the premiums I found are rather expensive and if you do need to make a claim you will be doing so on the end of a phone line perhaps to a company thousands of miles away.
Local companies such as Bao Viet,HSBC ( which has numerous branches and offices in Vn) and Liberty have lower premiums but have lower cover levels.I have considered this in that to have any sort of treatment here is by far cheaper than in either Au,USA or the Eu.Also in the event of something nasty happening the people who I will be dealing with are local.Both Bao Viet and Hsbc have English speaking agents in aHcmc.
I called to Bao Viet and took away their tables of various covers and premiums.I then called to HSBC and obtained the same and was told  that HSBC acts as an agent for Bao Viet so you would think their policies would be the same.They are not,the HSBC policy / premiums are better.Reading the HSBC policy,I have not arranged it yet but will do so soon....top level of cover including medivac but excluding outpatient treatment just over £500 and I am 61,the younger you are the lower the premium levels.If you wish to include outpatient treatment the premium nearly doubles.You can check out the tables via the net otherwise if you wish I can post screenshots the HSBC/ Bao Viet details
You can also try Tenzing Pacific Services which is an agent in Hcmc.Although I have not used them there is a list of companies,local and international on their site.
I am not recommending any of the above,it is a personal opinion and I don,t work for HSBC and no doubt there are others with different experiences and thinking about it I will wait for other responses here before comiting myself.
Hope the above helps

I too have insurance with HSBC and have recommended it numerous times. Some of the expat policies here are just absolute thievery, 3000usd a year, as Gareth said, you can get a decent policy for around 700usd.

Hi Gareth & Colin,,this sounds a bit more reasonable! If you could screen shot that would be great.....so, I take it this cover is for Vietnam stay and for what period of time, so in the likely that we would come back to oz for say 3 week visit would this policy still be in tact for when we return, you mentioned medivac ,so would this be back to your own country? Sorry to ask so many questions, you may not be able to answer.

I have sent Fred the moderator pics and screenshots of the Bao Viet,HSBC insurance premiums and benefits as my IPad does not identify the URL to enable me to post them
If he can,t help then I,ll send  you a private message if you wish with my email address...I can send them thru there.
You can look at the HSBC details via Google....." HSBC Insurance Vietnam". Bao Viet on line pass you off to HSBC but if you look at whatever finally appears here you will see there are different premiums and benefits with the Bao Viet details being obtained froma visit to their head office here in Hcmc
The figures are in Vietnamese dong

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2893/34298524025_299e51ced1_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2856/33914509820_498bdef1d9_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2849/34141095062_eba32da7ca_z.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TEV5h5https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2843/33914577340_623c522aca_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4172/33914575670_65ff75883d_z.jpg

All the above posted as requested by G UK

Fred...thank you for your help

Gareth Uk wrote:

Fred...thank you for your help

You're very welcome. Best to PM when you send an email as I rarely check that address.

A question you asked regarding medivac which is missing on the screen shots is that it is worldwide.

Thanks Gareth & Fred for all your info , will check it out....👍😀

Thanks for the information Gareth and Colin. I started to look for insurances prior to my move in 2018 (I know, plenty of time but I enjoy doing the research as I am very excited already while starting to finish my life in Germany).

I thunk the insurance by Bao Viet seems good. I read they cover pre exisisting chronic disease as well after 1 year. As I am diabetic tjis is something very important. Do you know if they really do it? I expect to pay for my own medication, but would like cover if any complications happen (which didnt over the last 14 years).
Also, dental and outpatient seems to be a bit pricier. Based on the normal costs in Vietnam, is it really worth it (it would add over 27 mil. Dong), or id it cheap enough to pay such bills as well?

Thanks in advance....abd sorry to use your thread, HazenGreg

It is very difficult to say if the insurance company will pay out for a pre existing condition.Any insurance company ( worldwide) does not give a hoot about your health ...they are interested in making a profit only and most will go to the end of the earth to avoid paying out on a claim...it's a lottery ..you pay the money...you take your chance.
I have finally taken out insurance with HSBC as in the previously posted screenshots,the premium is lower but so is the level of cover but would you prefer to pay perhaps £2000 for a policy?.Health treatment in Vietnam,although still expensive, is cheaper than in Europe,Australia or America so the companies based in those countries offer policies with higher premiums but with higher benefits.
The policy I took out was " Privileged"  without dental or outpatient cover.the assistant in HSBC said it was the policy most expats use at HSBC so hopefully its the right one.It cost just over 10 million Dong,if you wish to extend it worldwide it's another 50 %.
My thoughts also included if you do need your insurance company it's easier to deal with someone directly over the counter than by email or at the end of a phone line.

Have a look at InsurandGo in Australia - we have that cover and the premiums are reasonable for the cover provided

Thanks Gareth.
Yes, I know that insurances try not to pay when possible. Though having the option that pre-exisitng conditions are covered after a year is a good reason to take the insurance. Overall the coverage looks decent for a good price. So this is certainly an insurance I will keep in mind. The dental part looks quite expensive considering the maximum payment per year. I was told that even with good dentists the prices are not that high in Vietnam - nit sure if it is true.
But I must admit - everthing looks cheaper than Germany where I pay for my national health insurance the highest fee of over €7500 per year, while my employee pays nearly the same as well. And I have to pay top-up fees for medication as well (which is nearly the same as the prices in Vietnam I have to pay). So paying €1.000-€2.000 for a good coverage is quite a big difference already.

It would be great to hear how reliable Bao is when you need them to pay. it owuld be great to hear if you are unlucky enough to need their service.

Hey HazenGreg
Should you have  existing medical condition and are taking prescribed medications your local Oz GP is able to prescribe enough meds for 12 months to enable you to be out of the country. From memory it is covered by "item 24 " of the Act... I have been able in the past to get the 12 months supply.
I hope to visit Vn early '18 for a few few weeks to check out Vn .I am retired and looking forward to a new adventure.
Cheers
Gordon in Cairns