How do you invest in Vietnam real estate?

Grrrrr........what's up Fred.

Yogi thought you would be hot on the trail of Bob Hope, Bob Wright, user786, etc etc...

It must be a full moon.😆

Even Boo Boo suggested Yogi throw in his 2cents worth to spice things up.

He said ....hey Yogi,...it's time to unleash the hound.

Woof woof,,,woof woof woof.

Yogi007 wrote:

Yogi thought you would be hot on the trail of Bob.

Come on - I'm supposed to be on holiday so more interested in Bobs with an extra O (when my wife isn't watching)

DELAFON wrote:

Sure, come back in one year...
Like this there is more for us now...
Will be then to late to do the same for you...

Good luck anyway!

This was posted on 19 May 2018.  It is now a little over a year later.   I now have to agree that It certainly is "to[o] late to do the same for [me]" and buy an apartment in Thu Thiem as M. Delafon has.  How unfortunate for me.   :huh:  Good luck anyway!

THIGV wrote:
DELAFON wrote:

Sure, come back in one year...
Like this there is more for us now...
Will be then to late to do the same for you...

Good luck anyway!

This was posted on 19 May 2018.  It is now a little over a year later.   I now have to agree that It certainly is "to[o] late to do the same for [me]" and buy an apartment in Thu Thiem as M. Delafon has.  How unfortunate for me.   :huh:  Good luck anyway!

Nice reminder THIGV.... Easy,,,,,
You really make me laugh.....

I spent 120,000 usd for the first time 29 years ago in real estate, and, along the way, I heard many dogs barking......... because crisis, because this, or that.... and, I just went my way..... Today, I still have that first one, never sold, always got my monthly rent, month after month, during 29 years... and i won't selll. I will transmit this one in a clever way to my children, best investment ever...

I will do the same in New City.... and, will go my way....

Still want to bark?

Good morning Michael,

The way Yogi looks at is this....
Today is the first day of the rest of your life...Ok

You've got an income producing asset back in your homeland which eventually will go to your kids as you've planned.

Here, it's another chapter in the book of life.  It's certainly been an interesting journey but you've got a roof over your head, your living in a different culture & learn something new every day & boredom won't come into it....which can be an issue for lots of retirees.

You've got an income from rents, don't need to work & certainly have plenty going on at the moment to keep you amused. 😆 

That's not too bad.

DELAFON wrote:
CoderX10 wrote:

You can call me seasoned real estate investor.

"seasoned real estate investor" is not your name.

I introduced myself, not you.
You could be anybody.....

Very foolish to believe I am going to read your text.....
I never open the door of my home to strangers who do not even introduce themselves politely..... particularly on the web...

I know what he does and who he does it for. I'd  take his real estate advice over yours any day. Sorry to say but it really sounds like you've bought a dud and I've seeing plenty of them  pop up around the city and the whole country since 2000. Back then, my cousins who are born and bred there would take me to these new tall buildings popping up. The first high rise is being being demolished locals say its haunted but I think they're just too smart to take on a 50 year lease. Then there's the ones like ever rich which  are literally falling apart now. Give it 5-10 years and I think you too will start seeing the warning signs placed outside about the building collapsing.

Hi,

My first post here.
Want to buy an apartment in District 2.

Could you recommend 2 or 3 trusted Real Estate Agent?

Thanks.

MarcoD22 wrote:

Have you even done any reading at all in this thread?  :/  Perhaps you could contact M. Delafon and see if he wants to sell his unit.   :joking:

Hi THIGV,

Reading all what I can.
Is M. Delafon selling an apartment in District 2?

CoderX10 wrote:
phikachu wrote:
DELAFON wrote:

Thank you Wadey for your comment.

Good, so you confirm prices are going down.
I do not see the link with the Chinese except if Implex is a Chinese company.

Still a hypothetical question I have that no ones answered... or cares. If delafon put his place on the market tomorrow who would buy from him over a vietnamese local selling the same unit but next door?

Why wouldn't you choose the one of many new builds across the road?

A foreigner would be the best possibility as foreign quota is hard to come by in HCMC. Foreign ownership in a building is restricted to 30% of the project. With the demand from foreigners, foreign quota are generally the first to sell out for well located projects. Foreigners cannot buy from the Vietnamese local selling the same unit next door. The Vietnamese local can only resell it back to a Vietnamese whereas a foreigner can resell it back to both foreign and Vietnamese buyers. There is a premium for foreign owned units as demand is high with limited stock. However, I'm not sure he would get interest at his unit in New City as that project has a lot of internal issues. Hope that helps.

Hi Codex

Looking to invest in a unit in Q2, available now or later.
I see you have a lot of experiences.
What would you recommend: New City? Diamond Island? Empire?

Thanks.

MarcoD22 wrote:

Hi Codex

Looking to invest in a unit in Q2, available now or later.
I see you have a lot of experiences.
What would you recommend: New City? Diamond Island? Empire?

Thanks.

Once again have you even read this forum, or even this thread?  There is an acronym for this but it is somewhat vulgar so I will modify it to RT*F.  You keep insistently asking the same question even though the answer is right under your nose.  Look on page 11 for many of CoderX10's posts and opinions on Q2.  I think that I know his opinions on Q2 real estate investment but I will let you read for yourself.

To see anyone's posts all together you can hover over their icon next to a post, then right click on the icon in the box that appears and the personal page will appear.  Scroll down to see their activity log.  Only a few recent posts are shown but If you click the "Read More" box you can read their entire posts going back indefinitely. 

Note:  This set of steps applies to those using a computer web page.  Phones may differ.

THIGV
ok
got it
Grazie

MarcoD22 wrote:

Hi,

My first post here.

Thanks.

Investors tend to focus on District 2 as that's where the majority of the projects are located since there's lots of land available. HCMC is currently on an eastward expansion from District 1. Projects in District 1 are too expensive. If I have to do it all over again, I would focus on District 4 specifically on Ben Van Don such as the Novaland or Masteri projects. Since there's no more large parcels of land in District 1, District 4 is primed to benefit from the demand generated from District 1. And Ben Van Don is only across a small canal before you get into District 1.  Don't go to deep in District 4 though as it can get sketchy. From there I would focus on Binh Thanh with projects such as Sunwah Pearl. Lastly, if you have a lot of powder, Thao Dien is always a great option. Most of these projects are currently under construction or completed and you probably have to buy them on the secondary market. 1st half of 2019 saw a slow down in new inventory to the market as the government has clamp down on approving new projects. Stay away from New City, Diamond Island, and District 9 all together. Empire City is a good project but you wont be able to get into it under $5,000 usd/sq meter. Hope that helps.

This review from CoderX10 seems quite complete and without a personal axe to grind.  I certainly hope it answers MarcoD22's question.  I am not disputing anything but I have questions for CoderX10 on two items: 

First in a general sense is it wise to buy high rise property in areas that were basically swamps 10-20 years ago.  I would include at least the parts of D2 that are closest to the river and much of D7.  I was shown raw land in Tan Phong about 10 years ago.  I could barely walk there and now it is called Sky Garden.  I know there can be piles driven but not all projects are going to do a good job.

Second what is the problem with District 9?   I would think that if you are a long range investor and not only looking to turn a quick buck,  further away from the center may afford better value for money.  I know parts toward the river to the Southeast may be a little squishy as discussed above but the areas near QL52 and QL1A Hanoi Highway should have good long range potential.  What am I not seeing about D9?

Thanks.

THIGV wrote:

This review from CoderX10 seems quite complete and without a personal axe to grind.  I certainly hope it answers MarcoD22's question.  I am not disputing anything but I have questions for CoderX10 on two items: 

First in a general sense is it wise to buy high rise property in areas that were basically swamps 10-20 years ago.  I would include at least the parts of D2 that are closest to the river and much of D7.  I was shown raw land in Tan Phong about 10 years ago.  I could barely walk there and now it is called Sky Garden.  I know there can be piles driven but not all projects are going to do a good job.

Second what is the problem with District 9?   I would think that if you are a long range investor and not only looking to turn a quick buck,  further away from the center may afford better value for money.  I know parts toward the river to the Southeast may be a little squishy as discussed above but the areas near QL52 and QL1A Hanoi Highway should have good long range potential.  What am I not seeing about D9?

Thanks.

Hi THIGV,

To answer your question:

1) Most of the land in HCMC is swamp land based on the number of rivers snaking through most parts of the city. However, developers now a days are fully aware of the issue and are spending a lot of money on extensive piling testing and ground reclamation to ensure that the ground can hold a 30-40 story building. In addition, a very good example of former swamp land converted properly into a small township is Phu My Hung in District 7. If you look back at the map prior to Phu My Hung development, it was all swamp land. Another good example is Thu Thiem located on the edge of the Saigon River across from District 1. Projects such as Empire City has spend considerable time and money on piling testing. They actually just completed piling testing after 3 years and moving forward construction of the foundation. I am not an expert in swamp area development and only time will tell if these projects will hold. But if Phu My Hung is any indication, it looks like it'll be ok.

2) Each investor has their own investing style and my style of investing is very conservative. More so in a foreign country. Even more so in a developing country like Vietnam. I'm not disregarding D9 all together as you are correct there is value there but its not for me. Personally, I like to invest in projects that either can generate income immediately or appreciation (in a short period of time) or both. My personal opinion on D9 is that they are building a lot, rightfully so since there is an abundance of land. However, with that many units, there's not many nearby amenities for the residents such as schools, supermarkets, and dining options and that is a negative factor for people deciding where to live. Ground floor retail in these projects are not enough to attract residents to move to D9. They would still have to drive closer to the inner city for these amenities. I can't see someone buying a unit in D9 today, and when the project is handed over, be able to find a tenant ready to move in. I also recognized that D1 is the main driver for HCMC in terms of employment and growing tourism market. As such, to hedge my risk, I want to stay as close to that as possible as the expansion will start from D1 outwards. Tourism is a big driver for HCMC right now. I have a friends who bought and took possession of units at Vista Verde near Diamond Island located in District 2 and have not been able to find a tenant for the last 2 years. And that's still in D2, not even D9 yet. His style is long term and he has no issues with finding a tenant right now. To each his own.

You also have to consider the 50 year ground lease that foreigners are allowed to own these units. 20 years from now that lease is less valuable as when you resell back to a foreigner, they only have 30 years remaining. The closer you get to expiration of the lease the less valuable it becomes. The term of the lease does not get reset. Your best exit strategy then would be to sell it back to a Vietnamese at market value, but by that time, who knows how many units will be in D9. Also must have a exit time for these investments. When i started my journey of buying apartment units in HCMC, my plan was to only hold for 5-7 years and then get out. 10 years max is things goes well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you CoderX10.  You obviously have both eyes open.  :top:

Agree with Cordex.D9 has very little infastructre and the roads are very small. I lived on the cusp of D9 for a year and the place is just bedlam. Trucks everywhere, dusty and lots of drug addicts in the area. The amount of apartments being built their is very worrying, it will be gridlocked with traffic in the coming years.

THIGV wrote:

Thanks THIGV. In Vietnam, I have eyes on the back of my head as well.  :) My one rule I recommend is sticking with big name developers. You will pay a little more but sleep better knowing that they are taking every precaution. Big name developers have a huge pipeline and tend to not take short cuts because they know their reputation will be ruined if they do. They have more to lose than gain by taking shortcuts. Small Vietnamese developers not so much. Thuan Viett and New City is a good example of poor Vietnamese development.

CoderX10 wrote:
MarcoD22 wrote:

Hi,

My first post here.

Thanks.

Investors tend to focus on District 2 as that's where the majority of the projects are located since there's lots of land available. HCMC is currently on an eastward expansion from District 1. Projects in District 1 are too expensive. If I have to do it all over again, I would focus on District 4 specifically on Ben Van Don such as the Novaland or Masteri projects. Since there's no more large parcels of land in District 1, District 4 is primed to benefit from the demand generated from District 1. And Ben Van Don is only across a small canal before you get into District 1.  Don't go to deep in District 4 though as it can get sketchy. From there I would focus on Binh Thanh with projects such as Sunwah Pearl. Lastly, if you have a lot of powder, Thao Dien is always a great option. Most of these projects are currently under construction or completed and you probably have to buy them on the secondary market. 1st half of 2019 saw a slow down in new inventory to the market as the government has clamp down on approving new projects. Stay away from New City, Diamond Island, and District 9 all together. Empire City is a good project but you wont be able to get into it under $5,000 usd/sq meter. Hope that helps.

Yes Codex, thanks. Very interesting.

MarcoD22:  May I make a sincere suggestion.  Although you are apparently living in Vietnam, it seem to be not too long.  You might want to reconsider investing in real estate until you have resided at least a year.  CoderX10 has given you an excellent set of suggestions but they cover a lot of geography.  Get to know the various districts and neighborhoods.  Try to meet expats who live there or better yet those who live in particular developments that you are interested in.  Learn all you can about both the better and the not so good developers.  Don't rush it. 

Speculators and agents will say you have to get in right away, while at the same time they say that prices will only go up.  That is something that never changes.  If prices really will always go up, a dubious proposition, then there will be plenty opportunity for appreciation later.

CoderX10 wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Thanks THIGV. In Vietnam, I have eyes on the back of my head as well.  :) My one rule I recommend is sticking with big name developers. You will pay a little more but sleep better knowing that they are taking every precaution. Big name developers have a huge pipeline and tend to not take short cuts because they know their reputation will be ruined if they do. They have more to lose than gain by taking shortcuts. Small Vietnamese developers not so much. Thuan Viett and New City is a good example of poor Vietnamese development.

Just when you thought you could trust a "big developer", one of the biggest does this:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hanoi … 50787.html

THIGV wrote:

MarcoD22:  May I make a sincere suggestion.  Although you are apparently living in Vietnam, it seem to be not too long.  You might want to reconsider investing in real estate until you have resided at least a year.  CoderX10 has given you an excellent set of suggestions but they cover a lot of geography.  Get to know the various districts and neighborhoods.  Try to meet expats who live there or better yet those who live in particular developments that you are interested in.  Learn all you can about both the better and the not so good developers.  Don't rush it. 

Speculators and agents will say you have to get in right away, while at the same time they say that prices will only go up.  That is something that never changes.  If prices really will always go up, a dubious proposition, then there will be plenty opportunity for appreciation later.

THIGV you really for your guidance. I really appreciate.

You know what, Codex is right about New City.
I did some research on the web and it is really incredible what I found out in a facebook group. The situation there seems to be desperate. CRBE Security is aggressive physically on owners because of their pets. More and more owners would stop to pay their management fees because they do not get what was promised like the Tennis courts or pure drinking water etc.... The owners there really seem to be at war with Thuan Viet and CRBE....

OMG!!!!!!

@THIGV and @Codex

I left that message in the forum for beginners and got no answer...
What is happening in here???

"My name is Marco, retired from Italy and I decided to move to Vietnam.
i wish to invest some capital in Real Estate.
Now, one thing I do not understand on expat.com
I joined recently and was banned after a few days....
What did I do wrong?
I got the following message: " Your account has been disabled. The ban expires on 2019-07-10. You have used prohibited words or added blacklisted links to an open field in your profile details or in a private message"

What prohibited words? I am a polite person and never use slang. So please tell me, what are these words that are prohibited? Thanks.

I did not add any link in my profile."

MarcoD22 wrote:

@THIGV and @Codex

Your account has been disabled. The ban expires on 2019-07-10.

It looks like the ban was rather short and is obviously over.  Why sweat it?

in a case like this, a PM to one of the moderators will probably be more productive than an open message.

THIGV wrote:

Just conjecture as I have nothing to back it up other than projects i've stayed in or visited. It seems foreign companies have plenty of hurdles thrown in their way so I'd avoid them too.

Landmark 72 in hanoi and the tower I was referring to that locals say is haunted. There was just  taiwanese foreign investment around that time before the south koreans and japanese money flooded in. This was also before foreigners could buy property so they built those apartments with just local vietnamese buyers in mind. However, as a foreign company they were only allowed to issue 50 year leases even to vietnamese and so nobody bought them, the place became derelict except the shopping plaza below which the shop owners began shutting down too. Eventually the locals said it was haunted and its now due to be demolished. All in the space of 5-10 years. Literally saw it finished came back a few years later and everyone's vacating.

This came from a novaland sales rep so you could take it with a pinch of salt or miss understanding on my part. She said only buy from reputable vietnamese firms because in the past foreign firms could only issue a 50 year lease to it's residents or something, even to vietnamese. This might not matter to foreigners now who would only get 50 years anyway. All im saying is, Its rigged and if you want a place where your investment is safe and secure then your better off buying it from a vietnamese company. I suppose its more about connections and coffee money than foreign/local company but the novaland employee pointed out to me clearly to buy from them as all their land marked for construction was purchased directly from the prime ministers son or something. Its probably all bullshit sales tactic but it kinda worked on me as reading between the lines. All sorts of barriers will be thrown in the developers way if they fall foul of someone powerful and greedy and the only way to guarantee it won't happen to you is to buy from novaland (and vinhomes).

Go take a visit to landmark 72 in hanoi by a south korean firm and read the background story behind that project too. Its the same bureaucratic bullshit and looks like a haunted empty building  there too.

It was something to do with this.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail … c286566a27

“A foreign-invested enterprise could own a land use right if a Vietnamese partner contributed to its share capital in a joint venture. Other than this, foreign investors could only lease land use rights for a lump-sum payment or an annual rent. The duration of the lease could not exceed 50 years (or 70 years in special circumstances).”

The foreign firms at the time, by extension could only issue 50 years (minus the years it took to build) if at all, to its owners. Maybe times have changed, i dunno. But you wouldn't be caught up in any trouble if you avoided it in the first place.

phikachu wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Just conjecture as I have nothing to back it up other than projects i've stayed in or visited. It seems foreign companies have plenty of hurdles thrown in their way so I'd avoid them too.

Landmark 72 in hanoi and the tower I was referring to that locals say is haunted. There was just  taiwanese foreign investment around that time before the south koreans and japanese money flooded in. This was also before foreigners could buy property so they built those apartments with just local vietnamese buyers in mind. However, as a foreign company they were only allowed to issue 50 year leases even to vietnamese and so nobody bought them, the place became derelict except the shopping plaza below which the shop owners began shutting down too. Eventually the locals said it was haunted and its now due to be demolished. All in the space of 5-10 years. Literally saw it finished came back a few years later and everyone's vacating.

This came from a novaland sales rep so you could take it with a pinch of salt or miss understanding on my part. She said only buy from reputable vietnamese firms because in the past foreign firms could only issue a 50 year lease to it's residents or something, even to vietnamese. This might not matter to foreigners now who would only get 50 years anyway. All im saying is, Its rigged and if you want a place where your investment is safe and secure then your better off buying it from a vietnamese company. I suppose its more about connections and coffee money than foreign/local company but the novaland employee pointed out to me clearly to buy from them as all their land marked for construction was purchased directly from the prime ministers son or something. Its probably all bullshit sales tactic but it kinda worked on me as reading between the lines. All sorts of barriers will be thrown in the developers way if they fall foul of someone powerful and greedy and the only way to guarantee it won't happen to you is to buy from novaland (and vinhomes).

Go take a visit to landmark 72 in hanoi by a south korean firm and read the background story behind that project too. Its the same bureaucratic bullshit and looks like a haunted empty building  there too.

Ask the Novaland rep why foreign companies do so well in Saigon. Novaland are connected and they all spin the same crap.

Foreign companies do well making stuff using cheap labour on land leased for factories but if you can point any residential apartment projects from foreign owned companies I'd be interested in seeing them.

This was a long time ago but landmark 72 was more recent. I have looked at lotte tower and that was quite nice and well done.

phikachu wrote:

Foreign companies do well making stuff using cheap labour on land leased for factories but if you can point any residential apartment projects from foreign owned companies I'd be interested in seeing them.

This was a long time ago but landmark 72 was more recent. I have looked at lotte tower and that was quite nice and well done.

Where do you get this misinformation from.

So you're saying local builders don't use cheap labour.

Are you actually living in Viet Nam?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
CoderX10 wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Just when you thought you could trust a "big developer", one of the biggest does this:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/hanoi … 50787.html

Muong Thanh is not a big player in the residential sector. They mainly focus on hospitality that they privately own. Big players that dominate the residential market is VinGroup, Novaland, Kepple Land, Capita Land, and Son Kim Land to name a few.

All I can add is ....

The more of these threads I'm following,,the faster I'm running in the opposite direction.....

And that goes for just about everything.     Talk about Red flag warning signals.......did anyone notice the colour of that flag hanging from the roof of the airport upon landing here....🤓

phikachu wrote:

Keppel Land and Capita Land, two very big foreign companies mainly located in the south.

phikachu wrote:

Most developers used the same construction contractor. If Cottecons turns it down, then Hoa Binh will take it. Between these two firms, they are building most of HCMC. Hard to say one is using cheaper labor than the other when the labor is from similar source.

Im sorry for the confusion, i've reread what i wrote and it implies I'm saying that developers foreign or local are using cheap labour on land set for factories to build apartments.

What I was trying to say was foreign investment is in manufacturing and the cheap labour and that I didn't know of any successful residential developments owned by foreign companies. You've pointed out some companies with projects which I am not clued in on so I will check them out. I am not a property investor, I'm not a property expert,  I am just someone looking to buy a place in vietnam to spend my time between the two countries. All i've said is my opinion and personal experience with my feet on the ground visiting lots of apartments and projects across the country. Every city I've been to I check out the whats for sale and what will be for sale either with an agent or even just going around myself to see whats being built. I once drove the length of the sky train project in hanoi to see whats being built around each station. I then did the same to see how much further it had extended since my last time. Might sound sad to you, but bear in mind I spent over 2 years looking in london before I settled on my first place and Only after  calculating the position of the sun set 365 days a year (true story). So i'm saying i'm a very very picky person and I've seen a lot of developments in vietnam. In summary, i'll only be buying a vinhomes or novaland project because the rest look really crap and in a lot of trouble.

phikachu wrote:

Im sorry for the confusion, i've reread what i wrote and it implies I'm saying that developers foreign or local are using cheap labour on land set for factories to build apartments.

What I was trying to say was foreign investment is in manufacturing and the cheap labour and that I didn't know of any successful residential developments owned by foreign companies. You've pointed out some companies with projects which I am not clued in on so I will check them out. I am not a property investor, I'm not a property expert,  I am just someone looking to buy a place in vietnam to spend my time between the two countries. All i've said is my opinion and personal experience with my feet on the ground visiting lots of apartments and projects across the country. Every city I've been to I check out the whats for sale and what will be for sale either with an agent or even just going around myself to see whats being built. I once drove the length of the sky train project in hanoi to see whats being built around each station. I then did the same to see how much further it had extended since my last time. Might sound sad to you, but bear in mind I spent over 2 years looking in london before I settled on my first place and Only after  calculating the position of the sun set 365 days a year (true story). So i'm saying i'm a very very picky person and I've seen a lot of developments in vietnam. In summary, i'll only be buying a vinhomes or novaland project because the rest look really crap and in a lot of trouble.

http://www.keppelland.com.vn/https://www.capitaland.com/vn/en.html

I got my eyes on what vinhomes are doing along the river in district 4.

Novaland tried to sell me icon56 and then saigon pearl next to it as a river view and I was like, call that a river view? Showed them a map vinhomes gave me which will block their lovely river view. And then was like, this is what I call a river view at home and told them the story of how i chose it because the sun sets 365 days within my field of view.

[img]https://ibb.co/nPfrJHM[/img]

phikachu wrote:

I got my eyes on what vinhomes are doing along the river in district 4.

Novaland tried to sell me icon56 and then saigon pearl next to it as a river view and I was like, call that a river view? Showed them a map vinhomes gave me which will block their lovely river view. And then was like, this is what I call a river view at home and told them the story of how i chose it because the sun sets 365 days within my field of view.

[url]https://ibb.co/nPfrJHM[/url]

Yea, that VinGroup project in D4 is going to be awhile. Its currently still being partially used as a shipyard. I do like the location, but its going to be a few years out before anything gets going. Not sure if they have finalized the purchasing of the land from the government.

@ phikachu

Sir, your sunset

https://i.ibb.co/xFGhTpq/99-F3-AD01-0078-4498-B2-A0-667-E9-F240-D13.png

It's the perfect spot with views of this new bund they keep talking about. I can wait.

CoderX10 wrote:

Yea, that VinGroup project in D4 is going to be awhile. Its currently still being partially used as a shipyard.

Shipyard?
Consider the possibility of toxic or even carcinogenic materials in the soil.  :(