How to make friends in Lisbon

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Lisbon :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Lisbon??

Thanks in advance for your participation

well... I hope to make new friends here in expat! :)

the portuguese course could be a good base to start, but it didn't work with me because I am working and my classmates were all students... too different life...

and the gym didn't work neither, since my classmates are around 20 years older than me... I'm a bit unlucky, don't you think? :)

Hi Christine,

This thread should be a lot longer...not sure why it dried up. I am thinking of making Porto or Lisbon my retirement destination but need to be connected to other expats for advice. If you know of any forums that would be a source of advice please advise. I have just ten months to retirement but will be visiting Portugal in the first week of June on my very first trip to Portugal...after walking the Camino all of May!!! Sooo looking forward to it...and to meeting expats who can show me the ropes in Portugal. At the moment I don't know anyone...let alone an expat...so hope you can connect me.

Hi Sharonwright,

I suggest you to have a look at the Lisbon expat network to have some contacts.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Christine

Hello everyone! Iºve just joined the group and wanted to say how useful this site appears to be.
Iºm keen to hear tips on how to meet new people in Lisbon as I need to build up a good circle of friends here.
thanks,
Mark

Simply contributing to expat forums is a great way to get talking to expats. Then you can arrange meetups etc. with those in your area.

Francesca09 wrote:

well... I hope to make new friends here in expat! :)

the portuguese course could be a good base to start, but it didn't work with me because I am working and my classmates were all students... too different life...

and the gym didn't work neither, since my classmates are around 20 years older than me... I'm a bit unlucky, don't you think? :)

heyyyy are you english then yea in lisbon???
how old are you im charlotte btw haa??

xxx

hi i am a industrial engineer/maintenance engineer looking for work in portugal can anyone point me in the right direction ?
cheers.
dave

askey1 wrote:

hi i am a industrial engineer/maintenance engineer looking for work in portugal can anyone point me in the right direction ?
cheers.
dave

Hi Dave,

Please post this in Lisbon's Classifieds > Job section.

After it is done, please delete this post.

Thanks
Arlette

hi everyone
i'm Stanciu from Romania and i'm moving to Lisbon at the begining of September.If anyone can help me with advices i'll be thankful.Greetings from Romania

Hi everybody.
I m Irina from Russia, living in Lisbon.
I m married with portuguese but i dont have friends here and i would like to have :)

stanciul wrote:

hi everyone
i'm Stanciu from Romania and i'm moving to Lisbon at the begining of September.If anyone can help me with advices i'll be thankful.Greetings from Romania

Welcome on board, Stanciul !
Could you start a new topic (you are off-topic here) and tell us the info you need?

irinairinha wrote:

Hi everybody.
I m Irina from Russia, living in Lisbon.
I m married with portuguese but i dont have friends here and i would like to have :)

Maybe the Network of expats in Lisbon would help?

Hy there
I just arived here in Lisbon and i will stay and worke here for the next 6 Months. Would be nice to met somebody here to spende the sparetime with. Going out, cooking, sightseing in and around Lisbon and so on. Is anybody out there who likes to met me?

Welcome to Expat-blog Samuelq1! :)

Hope that you meet lot of new contacts and make friends soon.

Regards
Sheetul

Hello , i'm living between amadora  and lisbon , moved to portugal from like a month , looking to have some friends , i'm natively egyptian , i can speak in arabic and english fluently , my problem is my portuguse is too poor that i hardly can ask a coffe.!

hey, I dont have any tips! but i really wanna get to know some people and i hear one can have a good chance here!

Hello Carla2748 and welcome to Expat.com!

All the best,
Harmonie.

thanks! ;)

Like to meet and write to people all over portugal to get to know this county and learn portugese..

emoghenesapele1 I think you should contact the police and the embassy of nigeria in lisbon they may help you

Hi Everybody,

I'm new in Lisbon, i want to meet someone who can speak with me Portuguese and english ?

If you are interested, maybe we can meet each other...

:-)

Leave me a message.

Take care.

Hi Lets meet.

Hi everyone new to Lisbon.
Just to say I'm living here for almost ten years now, knowing a bit about the city and the country in general since I'm portuguese , and have a very flexible schedule'because I'm no longer working.
I 'm available to organize small meetings, say coffee at a nice place or maybe even dinner or go for a drink  . So, if any of the people reading this is interested, just reply and when it gets to a good but manageable number- say if there's more than two an up to five- we'll give it a go. And then from there, we'll see....
Best of luck and enjoy the lovely weather.

Thanks expatlisbon!

I would like to meet up with others who are interested and explore Lisbon.

Hi Paddy and wo else may be interested.
There will be a series of free events from the 12th to the 15th here in S,Bento.
Pls check on line the'TODOS Festival, taking place those days. I will be attending with a friend and anyone wanting to join is welcome. We can discuss what to see and where/when to meet.
Warm regards
Esme

In my opinion, the best way to make friends in Lisbon is to start learning the language and then get involved in activities you enjoy. 

If you're a runner, join a local running group.  If you're a photographer, get involved in a local photography club. 

You bond best, and enjoy yourself most, with people with whom you share a common interest.

Hi   ,

If   you would like to send me your email or contact number  then  I will put you personally in touch with the right people at the newspaper.   I have worked with this paper  for many years myself in my business.  [Moderated : send your personal details via a private message pls]
Kind   regards

Pierre

Hello, my name is Marvin and am looking to make some new friends. I am local from Lisbon. Look forward for your call. Hugs :)

{Moderated: Do not share any contact number on the forum]

Hello,

I am new in Lisbon. I would like to open a small restaurant in any suitable place of Lisbon. After finalizing the place for restaurant, I will need a small apartment (2 room) to live nearby my restaurant. I do not know the language of Portugal but fluent in English. I am looking a friend who can help me.

One way would be to run a group that would interest like minded,  for instance a walking group.  One year l visited Portugal in 2010 and managed to link up with a walking group and they were really lovely and interesting to talk to. You could join a group by asking the information office what's on.  Look in the local papers and join a Web group.

Hi i m here in lisbon for more few days but feeling boring alone

Hey i m interested if u want to meet up let me know i m here on holidays till coming
Monday