5 year policy for Z visa

My wife and I are looking into moving to Sichuan from Yunnan. Unfortunately there is a policy unique to Sichuan that states that a foreigner who has a z (work) visa that is five years old must return to their native country to reapply for a new z visa. I've been searching around trying to figure this out; some people in government say it doesn't exist, while schools say it does exist, some say I need to return to my native country for a year, others for just a few days. It sounds like nobody knows what's really going on. My question: what is the reality for you foreigners in Sichuan? Do you need to renew your work(z) visas every 5 years?

I'm  not a teacher, nor am I living in Sichuan. Here is what I would do in your situation.

Find a local Visa Agent/ Consultant , they often have close connections to the officials and know exactly how the visa policy works. If you are fully legit they will probably charge you 1000-2000 yuan for the Visa application process.

But be careful and remind them that you want a 100% legal solution.

If you don't insist on a legal way, the might just hear your story and say how much it costs to get a Visa in your situation, and then they will bribe somebody to approve your visa. This is very risky and can get you deported.