Is moving to Puerto Rico a good idea?

Hi,

We live in Hatillo, which is just east of Camuy.  We have friends who recently purchased a home in Camuy.  It is a nice area, small town feel, some upscale areas.   Nice town square and some resturants.

Well worth giving it a close look.

Hi renwilson,
  Welcome to this very informative forum.  As to you're curiosity in the"Romantic City" La Ciudad Romantica aka CAMUY.  My part-time home in next door in Hatillo 5minutes away.  Half my family born in Camuy.  It's a very quiet family oriented small town.  Some areas in higher elevation have a beautiful view of water and the Town of Hatillo.  Great home prices if you drive around in different Barrios like Membrillo, Yeguada andCamuy Arriba for example.  Country homes and several gated & non-gated communities depending on your preferences. Popular beaches Penon & Brussi easily accessible from Carretera 2 and Rte 119. Safe to visit and swim, a fish/seafood eatery on site. Even a facility you can rent out for cinceneras or sweet 16 birthday parties, weddings etc.  The whole beach area being upgraded with paver style walkways & bicycle paths almost completed.  As far as for grocery shopping there is a big ECONO supermarket on carr #2 westbound.  The town plaza just had their Catholic Church redone about 18mos ago also the plaza itself.  Nothing to scream about: quiet simple town.  I like Camuy for the tranquilty and higher ground views, Camuy has no Malls, shopping areas and many choices of restaurants.  But very close by is Hatiilo. 2 Malls, a Super-Walmart 24hrs, Sam's Club, Amigo supermarket, plenty of restaurant choices, Home Depot, 3 beaches, 24hr Walgreens, 4 hotels, several Banks & active lively town plaza (checkout dia de patronales usually early July which lasts 9 day: get daily event guests schedule mid June from Plaza) and more All easily accessible.  Many country homes and Urbinazations to look at.  Private schools for the young and UPR nearby.  More than past locals are willing to speak english if necessary for non-bilinguals,  Don't rush unless it's not a choice. Hatillo, Quebradillas, Isabela going WEST are also very nice. Several Hospitals near to handle most of concerns and in worst case scenario transportation to town of Manati (Doctors Town) 25 away or Mayaguez or San Juan.  Good Luck & go with a plan, financial emergency fund and open positive mindset.  Pow-wow with hubby important..Congrats and enjoy!! jose

Some companies are slowly opening branches in the island. The more competitive labor laws are making this market attractive once again. Hopefully more companies will expand and the job market will improve.

Varughese Thomas wrote:

Dear friend, My name is Thomas Indian Electrical engineer here in Brazil Saopaulo,
I heard about Puerto Rico, a nice island,  I am also trying to go to Puerto Rico to work and live there, I am an indian national, So it is not easy to get my visa to move,  but it is a great idea,  to move to Puerto Rico,
Thomas

Not a good idea if you need a job, like you said getting a visa may be a problem also. Puerto Rico is part of the US, If you want to come to the US, you have a better chance with one of the 50 states instead of trying for Puerto Rico where the unemployment is 3 times higher than in the states.

I would not hold my breath, the current US president is not too keen on immigration and H1B visas are hard to come by.

See: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=624818

and while you are it read the rules of the forum, we already had an incident.

Another month passes and my heart has only grown stronger to make this move as soon as I can. It is still a ways off but I am convinced it is he right thing to do.

Not to keen On Immigration. What a gentle way to describe the current policies.  LOL

Hi!
I was looking for some information on dogs and somehow found this conversation. I came back to live in PR back in 2003. Since then, I have been able to live with the freedom that I never had in the States. I had the same fears you have as a single mom. However, I found some great private inexpensive bilingual schools. And also was able to go back to school myself and recently finished my master's degree.  (Much cheaper college tuition btw)
I recommend you look into houses that are in gated communities. I live close to the beach and wouldn't have it any other way. My kids quickly learned Spanish and went on to public schools for their high school years. They now see the US as a go to only for vacation and for visiting family. Puerto Rico is home!

mlgreiner13 wrote:

Not to keen On Immigration. What a gentle way to describe the current policies.  LOL

I must have missed this.
You would not be an immigrant, you are a US citizen like the rest of us. Dig out your social security card (not laminated), your US driver license and your birth certificate, get on a plane to PR and you are done. Those documents you will need to establish a life in PR.
Sorry I missed your post from June
Rey

mio1073 wrote:

Hi!
I was looking for some information on dogs and somehow found this conversation. I came back to live in PR back in 2003. Since then, I have been able to live with the freedom that I never had in the States. I had the same fears you have as a single mom. However, I found some great private inexpensive bilingual schools. And also was able to go back to school myself and recently finished my master's degree.  (Much cheaper college tuition btw)
I recommend you look into houses that are in gated communities. I live close to the beach and wouldn't have it any other way. My kids quickly learned Spanish and went on to public schools for their high school years. They now see the US as a go to only for vacation and for visiting family. Puerto Rico is home!

Hi Mio,
Glad you been making a great life in PR and all is well.
You mentioned returning to PR in 2003, does that mean you left the island for work in CA previously?
You mentioned having more freedom in PR than in the states, that makes me wonder.
BTW, welcome to the forum.
We also have a FB group named "Expats in Puerto Rico" if you are interested.
Rey