Making a living in the DR

How can an expat possible live in the D.R without a pension or some other type of perpetual income from outside the country? From what I have researched, the pay in the D.R is absolute dog crap. I have read that an expat would be beyond lucky to make $500 U.S a month in the D.R -- which is absolutely ridiculous considering the rent prices in the D.R are expensive compared to the local economy.

I seen this video on youtube made by an American who was paying $1200 for sub-standard 3 bd apartment in Piantini that didn't even have air conditioning. Those prices seem outlandish considering the local economy. And that it could be argued that the D.R is third-world.

What jobs are readily available for an EXPAT? Are there jobs that pay well and do not require a work visa?

NO to work  here you need your cedula/residency.  You are pointing out many reasons why you should look to jump ship and live somewhere else, not the DR

Bob K

You're not going to get a job here and pay is low even if you could. Those numbers you mentioned on rent are high. He's being ripped off.

do all apartments need a fiador?

No.