Work[ing] in maldives without oec/poea documents!!??

I am about to decide very soon whether I will continue and go to maldives via tourist in Hong kong then with company work visa to maldives (2-flights) just to skip the POEA/OEC (overseas employment cert.) for OFW requirement of PH government.

The pre-opening 5* resort HR wants me to do that... i and my family feel it is not legally right to do.

I kept on asking HR to send the original copies of my visa and contract (red ribboned) but they keep o telling me it will take long time to process and just follow their instruction to skip the process!!

What should i do? Please help. Should I proceed or not?

Hi justine! are you working now in maldives?

Hi, same situation here.. can you tell me if you have proceeded?

Hi, Justine and Nomad623!
It is totally reasonable and it is your right to request for those documents in order to leave Philippines smoothly.

However, your HR is also correct that the POEA process takes SOOO LONG. They might get tired of waiting, especially if there's an urgent need to hire.

I've been there. What you can do is:
1. Get a copy of your Maldives Employment Approval. A soft copy will do.

2. Leave the Philippines as tourist. Maldives doesn't need a visa prior to arrival so if PH Immigration asks you to show your visa, just say Maldives is visa-free for Filipinos. HOWEVER, you also need to show hotel booking, return tickets, leave approval and employment contract from PH employer to establish you are coming back to PH, and sometimes show money.

3. Show your Employment Approval once you arrive in Maldives. Leave the Ph as tourist and enter Maldives as a worker. The EA is all they need. Immigration will register your fingerprints and voila, you can leave the airport. Within 15 days from your arrival, you should process your medical and other documents (your HR will help you) in order to get your Work Visa Card.

That's what I did. I'm not recommending it because of the CONS:
- OFFLOADING. If Ph Immigration Officers can smell that you're leaving the country for work, there's a chance you'll be offloaded. Act smartly, answer promptly, and show all needed documents to support your claim that you're leaving Ph as tourist. If you get offloaded, all your chances are ruined.
- No POEA assistance. If something bad happens to you, it's on you. Sure, the Ph consulate would help but that's about it.

Only one PRO:
- You get to join your workplace ASAP.

If you want to know more, check this link out: expaterix.com

You'll find there my horrible experience with POEA, the documents and terms you should prepare, and everything to get you ready for your move to Maldives. :)

See you here!

Hi Justine,

My name is Doki, im woking here in Maldives. My cousin have the same situation. A lot of direct hires do the easiest way, leave the country as tourist, specially if the hiring is urgent. Just request for the Work Visa approval document from your employer. You will show it at the immigration here in Maldives so they can accept you as a working individual.

All the best!

Hi,

I been trying to find a job in Maldives online and submitted few cv, but I have not received any job offer yet.I am thinking if i could go to maldives as a tourist and find a job there personally..Is it possible for a tourist visa to be converted into a work wisa?