How to make friends in Brussels

mamta1080 wrote:

hey nelli.....

dont worry....as soon as u reach here let me knw......we'll plan out something.....

Sure, I'll move there in January the 4th :)

And thanks for the links, Nora!

hi Nilly

i live in brussels. i was in Antwarpen before and since the last one year i am in brussels. i like to meet new friends. we can meet by the time u come to brussels.

thanks

khalid

lets be friends

Hi valbona,

how can you make friends if you don't present yourself? Any hobbies maybe ?

In Brussels for a few weeks on business. Would like to meet a cool and fun girl. Message me if interested.

Prsnlcoach > Expat.com is not a dating site

^ Spam, don't click.

Thanks melby, I have deleted his account ;)
You can also report to us directly, by clicking the report link!

Ah, I see. It's gray, so my eyes just kind of skimmed right over it as something not to click ("grayed out" usually means something is inaccessible), I'd even looked to see if there was something like that! A color change is suggested. lol.

Hello! I'm an American student who just moved to Brussels. I'll be here for the next 3 months and am really hoping to meet people, especially people who wouldn't mind traveling or helping me practice my French!!!

Hey Kelly. =) Are you planning on traveling anywhere in particular?

Well obviously places in Belgium, but I;d really like to just travel around Europe in general!

Europe is rather large. lol. I take it that means you have no actual destinations in mind?

I mean, mostly Western Europe and popular tourist destinations, specifically Paris, London, Madrid, Frankfurt, Venice...

One way to make friends in Belgium seems to be chatting with people while waiting for a train (which in this country is probably late). :--D

Bibba, seriously? Looking at the boards in Antwerpen, it is rare to ever see more than 1 train late (out of like 30?), and half the time none are (I walk through the station to Lidl often, so I am not speaking of only seeing them rarely, but frequently) and that one train is 9 times out of 10 the Thalys, not one of the normal ones. And on the rare occasion one is late, it is usually no more than 5 mins, once in a great while something will happen, but in 2 yrs, and much train use, that has only occured for us once or twice.

kforkelly wrote:

I mean, mostly Western Europe and popular tourist destinations, specifically Paris, London, Madrid, Frankfurt, Venice...

Well, I'd recommend going to Venice near the end of your stay, after the winter season. The best time to go is May/early June or Sept/Oct, so I'd aim to wait for at least April. It's a great place, I'm sure you'll have fun. The rest of those places aren't especially high on my list, but if you join CouchSurfing maybe someone (or several) will be interested to join you. Just go in the Europe group and the Belgium group, and ask if anyone is free/wanting to go visit those places during your time here. If people are free, I'm sure someone should bite! =)

But if you're interested in seeing Wallonië with a couple (myself & my husband, or, again, maybe CS folks, or others on here as well, certainly wouldn't need to be just us), maybe we could do that? Or maybe to Gent also, as we didn't spend too much time there when we visited it previously, and didn't get to visit the castle. Brugge we've been to a couple times, and I definitely recommend visiting there, it's very nice and a bunch of good museums too. But we've never ventured into Wallonië yet, so I do want to do that at some point! =) I know there's a bunch of cities there that are supposed to be very nice there...

Hi!

I've recently moved to Brussels for an internship of 5 months.
And yes, also I would like to meet people to hang out with! :)
I did my Erasmus exchange programme in Iceland last semester and being surrounded by students every day made it very easy to make friends..But now I'm working every day it seems a bit harder!

Kelly, maybe we could meet up this weekend for a drink / explore the city?
Just let me know :)

Hi everybody,
I moved to Brussels a week ago, and I would like to meet people to discover the city together! Maybe we should arrange some event in some bar or café so that all the people who are interested could come. I don't really know Brussels yet but maybe someone could suggest a place? Is anybody interested?

I've also been here for around a week now, so don't know that much bars or cafés either, but we definitely can meet and explore Brussel together? :)

Melby wrote:

Bibba, seriously? Looking at the boards in Antwerpen, it is rare to ever see more than 1 train late (out of like 30?), and half the time none are (I walk through the station to Lidl often, so I am not speaking of only seeing them rarely, but frequently) and that one train is 9 times out of 10 the Thalys, not one of the normal ones. And on the rare occasion one is late, it is usually no more than 5 mins, once in a great while something will happen, but in 2 yrs, and much train use, that has only occured for us once or twice.

hahah, well maybe i've just had bad luck then!

haha, always possible. Do you travel often? And are you going to different places or the same route? The one thing I have noticed, other than the Thalys, is that the train coming *from* Brussels to here, tends to be the other one that runs behind. Goodness knows how, as it's only a 40 min ride away(!), but if one is late, chances are it's normally one of those.

Petra2 wrote:

I've also been here for around a week now, so don't know that much bars or cafés either, but we definitely can meet and explore Brussel together? :)

oky it doesn't look like anybody else is interested at the moment, so what about going for a walk and discover the city on monday?

Hey guys!

Is this forum still active?
I have been living in Brussels for a while now but would like to meet some new people! Are there ever any meetups? If not, maybe we should organize one?

:)

Hi Kiwik,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

It would be a great initiative to organize an Expat.com meet up in Brussels. Maybe you should start a new discussion on the Brussels forum by suggesting some places, date and time... :)

Cheers,
Christine

Hey guys!

Moved to brussels a week ago, would love to meet new people,
here is a litle about me, I am 23, french/Norwegian, but currently studying in Belfast. I am doing a shrot internship here before heading back,
love all the usual student things as cinema, pubs, quizes, shopping, museums, est.
So if you don't know what to do tomorrow nigth, give me a shout and we can grab a coffee? (And a Gauffre of course!)

Armelle :)

Yes that would be nice to meet up, let's organise something!

Hey!
Well i don't have a belgium mobile, but if you want you can find me on facebook? and we can go for coffee or something like that?

Armelle Marie Therese Lefebure

See ya! :)

Heyo,

I'm moving to Brussels in a few weeks, waiting to see the contract for my job on exactly when. I would love to meet up with other people. Never been to Europe or abroad for that matter so I'm pretty excited.

I've been trying to learn French through Rosetta Stone, so you may be have to be a bit patient with me on that part. lol.

Hi everyone,
I moved to Brussels about 6 weeks ago now and would love to meet some other expats.

Back home, my friend's and I organised a Sunday lunch club where one Sunday a month who ever could make it would meet at a pub recommended by someone or just one they wanted to try out.

It almost always worked because there were enough people in the club that there were always a few that could make the suggested time/place. 

Anyone think that something similar would be good here? I'm sure there are plenty of us to keep it going.  Could say every other Saturday for lunch and just see who can make it....

Joanna

Hey!

I like the sound of that idea, sounds cool. I've been craving a Sunday lunch here.

This is random but if anyone happens to read this before and fancies shopping tomorrow I think I will be going near Louiza, give me a message..

Christina

Hello everyone!
I just arrived yesterday in Brussels! i love it!
I want to meet some nice , fun people!

greetz,

Mary

lelex wrote:

I also love the idea of a Saturday lunch!
I am not free this weekend, but how about organising something for saturday April 2nd? Maybe we could meet in a cafe in the afternoon or have lunch in a restaurant? Do any of you know any nice cafes / restaurants?

Would really love to start meeting new people here  :)

you can send me a message or find me on facebook:
Alexandra Mulack

x Alex

Hi!
Guess I spotted this a bit late as I can't do Saturday. Sunday would be good though. Or perhaps a bit more notice would be better if more people want to join....17th April good for anyone?

J

Hey there!

I would really like to join you, April 17 is fine for me!

Cheers,

Charlie

Hi all,

Saturday 17th would suit me too :)

Cheers,
Alex

Just noticed that the 17th is a Sunday not a Saturday ;) But it works for me either way!

Great, 17th April it is :)

Anyone else want to join us?
Anyone have any preference on where to go?

J

Hi,

my name is Christopher and I just moved to Brussels from Berlin for a one year work placement last week. So far I was really busy organising everything. This weekend I will be free to go out, hang out or do some sport. Anyone free please contact me. About me I am 26, German, work for a lobby group, live in Etterbeek near Montgomery and am quite social.

Looking forward to some replies;)

Hey everyone.

I've selected somewhere for Sunday lunch this weekend, it's called Nuetnigenough.

Location is very central and it seems reasonably priced too!
Was thinking to get there around 1pm.

Here are a few links...
nuetnigenough.be/Nuetnigenough/Home.html
tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d1443516-Reviews-Nuetnigenough-Brussels.html

Please send me a message or post here if you want to come!

Hopefully see you soon,
J

Hello Jojoi,

I will suggest you to start a new thread for your week-end lunch meet-up! It will be more visible and will allow you to get many positive responses.

Regards