Getting Marriage in Mauritius

Hi,
I'm currently dating a person from Mauritius and we have planned to get married. We never met each other as yet but connected on Facebook since 8 years. Now i have planed to visit Mauritius to meet her and check if everything is okay to get marriage. Can anyone help me on this matter? Are there things i should worry about that most people don't know (especially about laws or some other details)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

There's a world of difference between 'dating on Facebook' and in real life especially someone from a different country.
The most sensible thing to do is to meet the person in real life in Mauritius and get a feel of the country by yourself...the country itself, the culture, the customs, the people, the way of life and of course the administrative and legal framework.

Then, as you rightly put it, there are laws and regulations pertaining to foreigners getting married to Mauritian citizens.
Marriage requests involving foreigners are sometimes turned down if they are not able to convince the authorities of their 'good faith' regarding the marriage.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Yes you are right dating on Facebook is not really enough that's why i have made a plan to visit Mauritius to meet people and their culture. This time i am going to visit only Mauritius and to see her and her family, their culture and living style etc. If every thing will be okay then we will proceed to marriage, you can say in next visit not at once.
Please guide me here, what you recommend me to visit Mauritius as a tourist or should i apply for work visa to spend there more time to understand each other and do my job there as well? About my expertise, I am self employed and I do SEO (search engine Optimization) Web designing/web hosting you can say a online business or freelancer.

As i have never visited Mauritius not even any other country as yet, it will be my first move that's why i am afraid.
Is Mauritius safe? What will be future there?

Please guide me, any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I read many posts here many r asking how to marry a mauritian....wat I wiuld advice...be very careful of getting married with a mauritian. If u dont plan to change your nationality one day you divorced as long as yiu dont have the custody of your kid the government will send u a paper to leave the country in 6months time. Even u have the custody, from which I heard from lawyer, they will still not guarantee to give u a PR....wat sense it makes....ur kid is mauritian but as a foreign mother u will not allowed to stay in ur kids country....and dont think of yiu will stay happy with the marriage...mauritian have their unique culture seems good at tge start but later many family issues....you will see

It is wrong to judge the culture of a whole nation because of one bad experience.
Considerable amount of information about the divorce and the petition for divorce will be reviewed by the Prime Ministers Office where you apply for Residents Permit. Yes they have the power to say Yes or No of course but I am sure they will look at the circumstances just like they originally did when the person got the permit to reside in Mauritius as a spouse of a citizen.  The law is designed to stop people getting married just to stay in Mauritius hence the 6 months rule. If however a divorce for some reason occurs then it will be looked at.  Don't forget as well the same rule applies if the Mauritian Citizen you are married to dies.  You are no longer a married person , however I think that they might look at it slightly different , but in the end the law is the law

I dont judge I talk by experience...talked to the best lawyer in country but nothing can do. Thats my experience. Nowadays is not like before...they have very strictly control on their population...so if u did t apply nationality nor hold the custody...they dont care any moral issues.

I am sure that if you approach the correct office with the correct papers , documents  they will consider every case on its merits as per the laws of the country.  If they never give anybody residency anymore then they are not morally acting within the basis of Mauritius.  Obviously anybody who has found themselves in this position must try and have a positive approach to the situation ,  it is not a right to automatically get another permit , you cannot demand that must let you stay.  So you would need to approach the matter with the attitude that you would like to stay in Mauritius and clearly give your case for wanting to do so.  What they might do is give an extension for one year or so to ascertain that your reasons you have given to stay are upheld and carried out.

Most of the details anybody needs can be downloaded from the Government Website the document is called  The IMMIGRATION ACT.  I would tend to think that they treat each case fairly and yes unfortunately in some cases they make  a judgement which goes against what somebody was hoping for.  But it is the Law and no matter how bitter one feels about a decision , i don't think at any point they 'have closed the doors for non-citizens to come here and contribute to Mauritius Society' otherwise they would also stop all other forms of residency or work permits.

I work here nd I have a decent salary so in my case im not desperate...I applied OP. But  it doesnt mean that the government allow me to stay as a foreign mother of a mauritian kid . I approach the way by myself...as my lawyer clearly told me even Ive beenstaying here more than 9yrs impossible to apply nationality once the divorce done. And with a visiting right to the kid itnot necessary support u to continue stay here. Immigration will tell u im sorry but thats the law, you have to go.my case is not unique told by lawyer he has a formal client the same issues even with kids custody she fought years to apply a stay here. So wat to say...really think mairitius law is complete enough?

They will look at the events leading up to the divorce of course and why the divorce occurred .  Every case is different and if there is a blanket "No" as it seems to be suggested then it should be raised in parliament and the media and even the Consulate of your country here in Mauritius. If this is the case why are they still allowing people to marry a mauritius citizen if it is the case that should the marriage end in divorce or death then the person will not be allowed to stay.  I think Mauritius is more democratic than the assumptions made that all divorced or widowed people will have to  leave now .  I mentioned being made a widow or widower as the same law is in force !!!