Where to live in Phnom Pen?

Hi there

My wife and I are going to be moving to Phnom Penh in July and were hoping that we could have some help! We have never been to the city before and it is very important to us that we live in the best area of the city for us.

We would prefer to live fairly central but in a district that offers a few roads that a quiet. I realise that it is probably very hard but would love to hear your suggestions.

If you have any other useful information about moving out to Phnom Penh it would be really useful. Is it easy to get hold of household items such as sofas, TVs, other electrical goods etc?

Many thanks

Welcome on Expat.com olivermay22 ;)

Your discussion has been moved to phnom penh forum for effective networking.

Regards

Heya,

BKK1 (Boeung Keng Kang 1) is a pretty safe place to live. Just south of the Independence Monument. It's only a 5 min tuktuk drive to the riverside and there's a big Luckys supermarket here, plenty of restaurants and a few bars. There are also quieter streets. Its also known as the 'UN' area as many NGO and UN offices are around here and lots of expats.

Furniture and other home stuff is easy to get hold of here. Lots of markets and shops everywhere. Though electrical items are not really that cheap and I personally wouldn't get them from the market following a bad experience with hair straighteners! There are always expats leaving and selling on their stuff too. The local classified website where you can find aparments and furnishings is bongthom.com

Good luck with the move :)