School for the kid, that does not speak english

I am settling down here for 2 years. Probably not more, that's why I was quite sure that for my son it will be better to stay with my parents and not to make the mess with his school. Now he is 5.5 years old and in my country he could enter school at 6 or at 7. As he is happy with his kindergarten, I planned he will continue and come to school this year at 6. I fly to him each 2 months or he comes for my vocations. But after half a year I realised that it for both of us it is difficult, so now I want him to come in august and I really want him to start his school here. Is it realistic without speaking english? He enjoys Kenya a lot, and catchs very fast... I supppose, some of you passed through the same experience, I know, that children study fast, but I am so pity, that he be the worst in the class...

What is his first language?

I am pretty sure he would learn fast. At that age he will quickly adapt

Thdnk's fot support- but he is speaking russian...it is too different. But I hope that when everybody around will speak english he be more enthusiastic... Now he is studing with the teacher at home, but a small progress (if any)

Kids do learn fast. We have kids who go to school knowing the native language only but learn english very fast and become part of the group. MaraD be positive about your son and I am very sure he will catch up very fast. Wishing you and your son all the best and a happy stay in Kenya.

kids learn fast.
the tricky part is which class to join.
may be one class less because of communication issues.
but that just my opnion. you should know
whats best as mother.

shuttling a child to and from russia is a difficult task.
to stay with parent seems best option.

peter

Thank's a lot for support!!! Would anybody give me idea about school? I know, that the international schools are great in nairobi, the qiestion is, where they have the experience teaching non-speaking. In france they usually give one year to study language! i feel more enthusiastic now about my child's perspectives.

Hi MaraD,

I have the same issue with my kid 2 years ago when I first came to Kenya to work. He didnt speak English at all. Because lack of info that I had at that time, I tried several schools for him. Previously, in my home country, he has spent 2 years in pre school and kindergarten. He was 5 years old when he came here. Then I learnt that British schools here allowed children to enter primary school from 5 years old. So, then, after 2 schools, I register my son there. I told the teacher that my son didnt speak English at all. So, the teacher did some basic tests, like numbers and letters. He passed the tests, so he joined that school. He had to go for extra class there for acceleration (to adopt with the condition and, for sure, to learn English language as well). As all previous comments said, kids learn so fast. At the end of year 1 there, my kid even got the most impressive award because he could accelerate so fast. He now speaks English confidently (even though we still need to correct him here and there). The point is that he is now confident to speak English, and he can make friends there easily.

So, in short, dont worry too much about your kid. I am sure he can also learn English fast. Good luck !

it is great to read about such a nice experience! my son read very good (in his language) and is conpletely ready for the school, so may be he can pass the tests as well. I am going to visit some schools this month to check what is possible. Can you give the name of your school, please? At the moment I am thinking eigher Braeburn or Brookhouse. What do you think? thank you a lot for answer!!!

My kids 6 and 9 didn't speak English at all. They go to ISK and after 10 months they speak English together. We now have to say "we don't speak English at home"... Amazing!