Heads up about rain and rivers

Just a warning:
Due to heavy rains some of the river levels have raised and 2 days ago 2 children were carried off by the flows and drown. 1 was recovered, search is still on going for the second one. (Brother and sister).
Stay away from rivers if it has been raining heavily.

I copied this from an article and I think is good to share:

"In the wake of recent incidents (some tragic) in our rivers, it is right and appropriate to provide some pointers to our visitors to avoid unfortunate accidents. Since we were kids, all visits to rivers, streams or any body of moving water in the mountains came with warnings to watch for the "golpe de agua". The golpe de agua is nothing more than the body of water running out of its banks. It is usually rather sudden. Even if its not raining where you are, if the body of water runs thru several municipios, be aware that if it rains over there (one or two municipios uphill away), the water is going to come where you are at. If the sparkling clean water you are swimming in becomes turbid, or leaves and debris start showing up, it might be that a golpe is coming, and it is best you move away to make sure. The water coming down is tsunami strength and will sweep anything in its path away. Be safe."

If you and your family are planning to visit some of our rivers any time soon please keep this information in mind.

"golpe de agua" = Flash flooding. My wife and I were at lake guajataca, and they were looking for the bodies there, and below, at the dam, when I heard the news, from the DNR (Dept Natural Resources) rescue workers.

Sad story, they've recovered the body of the 11 yr old boy but his sister still missing. Hopefully they'll recover her so the family have some closure.

Very bad situation, father and kids came over to visit grandma and this happens.

Some fishermen found the second victim. Very sad outcome for this family visiting their parents.

Flash floods are treacherous- the Camuy river here flooded and washed tons of mud and debris into the ocean, the water looks like chocolate milk.

Heavy rain in the highlands miles away can trigger a flood down stream that you don't see coming.  You can set your cell phone to get warning alerts   

Be aware of the weather and your location.