Occupation permit alternative

I am from india. i come here as a visitor last week. I hv incorporated a domestic company in mauritius.I am not qualified candidate for occupation permit bcuz my turnover is less.i want to know on what grounds i can live and operate my business in mauritius

I have sent you a private message. Please have a look.
Cheers!

hi docindie,

If ever you have any information regarding the question of Alex143, please share it on the forum so that all members can benefit from it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com team

The other alternative is to go to a Work Permit and a residence permit.
This scheme has been existant since long, even before the Occupation Permit plans.
Unfortunately it is seldom used by business promoters because of ignorance.

It works everytime you cannot fit-in the Occupation Permit conditions.

Docinde

I'd be glad to learn from your knowledge. Would appreciate seeing your reply in public as the question was public.

:)

Hah, apologies for making things look shady guys, I don't have any alternative or easier way to get a permit. Thought of sending Alex a PM since I wanted to offer him to collaborate.

Posting that in the public forum would make it look like solicitation / commercial interest, which I guess is against the rules of the forum.

Cheers

If you are in Mauritius are you able to apply for a work permit?

Normally not.

The applicant is not allowed to stay when the application is made and while it is being processed.
The Passport & Immigration office will turn down any application, unless there is good reason why applicant is on the island (for instance, if a spouse of a foreigner, staying here on a dependent permit and found a job falling under Work Permit... )

And what about Occupation Permit?
Can one be in Mauritius on a Business visa and apply for an OP while still in Mauritius, within the 60 days of business visa that was granted on arrival?

Hi Guys,
Nadeem is an expert in this field.
Best wishes
Terence

Yes, one HAS to be in Mauritius to apply for an OP anyway. You will need to do your medical tests here, and submit your application through physical presence (once the online part is completed).

From the day you submit your physical application, you should count around 15-20 days or processing. So yes, you can complete all these within your 60 days business visa. Else, you can extend the visa if short of days. To note that business visa can last for 120 days (in two visits).

Now it all depends on the type of OP you're applying for. As investor you would need longer days since you will have to incorporate your company, transfer funds, etc. Same for self-employed OP. Opening a bank account is, these days, quite a thorn in the neck. Takes weeks to get there and even more if the bank requests a Trade License (easily add 2 months to get these sorted). Only the MCB doesn't require a trade license to open company accounts.

For employment, 60 days is quite comfortable.

Thanks Terence !