Buying a property in Bulgaria

As a relocation assistant the essence of my job is to see happy and satisfied expats living in our country. The relocation process is always associated with issues and the main one is finding, buying and maintenance of a property in the new country.

There is nothing more helpful than a personal experience shared and I would like to address all the expat living here to share their opinion. What was the main difficulty in your home search? What kind of difficulties have you had further? How did you resolve them?

Thank you in advance friends. I appreciate your time and efforts.

So far in our search we have had two main difficulties:

1- Finding a fair deal. We will see the same property listed by two different realtors and the owner on various sites. The difference in price can be staggering- sometimes more than 20,000 lev, which is not a small amount when looking for homes in the 50,000 lev range. It really makes me hesitant to commit to a realtor, knowing how much they mark up properties. I know I am going to feel hornswaggled whenever I finally make my purchase.

2- Owners backing out at the last minute. We found a lovely property that we were ready to buy. We went through the process of getting a loan (which was not an easy process considering I am a foreigner) for the home and then, a week before we were set to sign the papers, the owner backed out of the deal and decided to keep the home. But I still see it listed on multiple real estate sites (for the same price it was before).

3- Not being able to trust the structure of a building. I have heard horror stories of people buying homes only to have them crumble in the next 5 years. My husband and I are not experts, so it is difficult to assess homes' structural integrity. We have yet to find someone that we can trust to do this for us (even paid) that doesn't seem to be in the pocket of the real estate agent.

Hello Sofia Taushanova,

Welcome to https://www.expat.com. :)

Please post your ad in the Looking for testimonies in Bulgaria section. Interested members might get back to you.

Good luck.

Regards,

Sarvesh
https://www.expat.com team

Thank you for the advice Sarvesh.