Health insurance

Hi there Expats,

I'm currently going through the process of obtaining a visa for Ecuador, and I'll be moving to Ecuador soon.

I currently have an international health insurance, which I'd like to keep (since I often travel).

My questions is, does anyone know if Ecuador's own health care program is obligatory or voluntary? Would I have to enroll even if I have my other insurance, or can I choose not to?

Thank you for your help.

It has been widely reported this year that Expats with residency visas will be required to buy health insurance under the new immigration law passed four months ago.

However, Ecuador's bureaucracy has yet to publish the rules based on the new law.

With a new administration elected last week but yet to assume power, all bets are off until the rules are published .. in August, or whenever.

cccmedia

Thanks for the answer, cccmedia.

So even if I can show them an existing health insurance, I'd still need to buy Ecuador's own one, you think?

SCHM wrote:

Thanks for the answer, cccmedia.

So even if I can show them an existing health insurance, I'd still need to buy Ecuador's own one, you think?

Not necessarily.   Your current policy may be satisfactory.  Don't change anything yet.

cccmedia

Great. Thanks for your help.

I do not know about the Ministry offices from Guayaquil or Quito, but at least in Azogues the officers requires a health insurance that must state the insurance will cover you during your stay in Ecuador.
My friend applies for his extension today, and he had to  present the health insurance certificate about that.

Hi James,

Thanks for that information.

Then hopefully I should be ok, as I already have my own international insurance. I will make sure to have a copy of that ready.

Thanks.