Do I need a residence permit?

Hi,

I am a British citizen currently living in Norway. I came to Norway in November 2016 and after 3 months here registered as a job seeker with the Politi. (On the 31st of January.)
I am being told that this job seekers registration allows me to stay for 6 months looking for work. But when does this start? Does this start when I entered the country or when I registered? The Politi were very unclear when I registered and I received no documentation to help me, just a 12 digit number.
So I am unsure whether I can stay in Norway for another 3 months (from January) only, or another 6. If this registration only allows me to stay for another 3 months, which will be until the end of April, then what is the next step to staying longer? Do I need to apply for a residence permit?

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou.

Hi Gem89,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

The information you are looking for can be found on the UK Government Website for Norway HERE.

And the Norway Government Website HERE.

General Information about living and working in Norway HERE.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Hi
I am also British
Came here last june

Your next step is to secure a job nd contract  paying at least 20 to 50 percent  lasting more then 6months

With your job contract and proof of address you will then apply for a residents number  this is a permanent number and used as a residents ID t

You can stay and work here for as long as you wish once you get that number

You can PM me if you need more info or looking for work

Hi Eleda79,

Can you please edit your post and take down your Telephone number, this is for your own safety. You can send a private PM with it by all means

If you don't find work before that
Than you must leave Norway for 24 hours and start the process again

You will then get another 6 months 

To try and find gainfull employment

If you are struggling with good and clothes
Pls feel free to go to Fatihuset  ....where you will get free food and clothes to help you

Thankyou, this was very helpful!

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I am a little confused by your answer because on the direct gov website it states that British nationals don't need to apply for a residence permit at all. It also doesn't say anything about having to leave for 24 hours. I am curious about this as i am still confused about what to do. It seems impossible to find a straight answer from anywhere..