Advice for sending kids to french school while working in Ghent

Hello,
I should move to work in Belgium/Ghent soon , ( My daughters are 6 yrs old exact in next Sep  with english background and a little German skills ( kids songs level ) )

Though , we are still thinking to choose french or dutch public schools. ( matter of language choice ).
If we would select Dutch , then we can easily live in Ghent and i have no questions here .

If we went for French option , Where is the best location near to Ghent to live in and be a good place to live in . Someone told me about vilvoorde .. not sure it is considered superb of Brussels or what  .
Which communes in Brussels your recommend to reduce time lost to commute to Ghent daily

Note : Though I can travel by company car to Ghent , but i was told that traffic is tough so I would go for local trains as I was told told that it would take more than 1 hour ( after 5:00 PM )

At the end , The aim is to reduce time lost if we go for French publich school . Otherwise we will go for Dutch one and enjoy being 15-25 minutes far away my work/home

Thanx in advance

Indeed alot of traffic into gent. Also due to new mobility plan driving into centre is now very hard. However there are plenty of trains that run from Brussels to gent. I dont think you will find a french speaking area closer to gent then Brussels . As all i know can think of are obviously dutch with it being flanders so best bet would be if you wanted to stay in a french speaking region is looking at areas with good train access. Not sure on time i guess depends were in brussels you would be. I know people who get home to gent from brussels in 40 min to a hour. So depends on timing trains right and being close to a station with regular direct trains. However gent is full if lovely family friendly places to live to depends on what you  want. Wondelgem evergem meriakerke Drongen are all nice but suburban areas with good public access to city. Were places like Gentbrugge and lederberg are more city based. Hopefully this helps as a starting point good luck.

Thanx for your reply , seems we ( me and my wife ) will ask you more details if we decided to go for Ghent option or even invite you to our home :))
I was really missing the info for districts of Ghents , Now I can link what is close to center and what is not.

Thanx Hannahhadman

It is very unwise to go for French if you live in Gent.

However,
1) if you want your children to see you less
2) to spend an extra hour or 2 travelling per day
3) miss parent meetings, children's activities
4) place more of a burden on the other parent to care for the children
5) cost more in transport costs
6) cost more in rent
7) have a worse choice of school

well then choose French in Brussels.

Brussels-Midi is the closest Brussels station to Gent, it's 30 minutes and trains are every 20 minutes in rush hour.

The nearest communes to Brussels Midi are Foret, St Gilles, Ixelles, Anderlecht.

You would not want your children in the majority of schools in those communes.

You will struggle to get any places in the schools you'd want in those communes as the enrolments for places have passed and few places come up for children older than 3 years old.

I would strongly advise you, with children who have been educated in German, to take the Dutch option in Gent, where schools have smaller classes, where the level is similar no matter which school, where schools are better funded.

Hi schoolmum

Honestly, Your reply above,  was  a clear decision maker for me to end up this long brain storm .

Welcome to Ghent Dutch school then .