Looking for a quiet but active area

Hello Puerto Rico!!  My handle is gls2163. I am looking at moving  sometime soon. I am retired (24 years) from the USMC. and just started drawing social security. I am single and looking for a quiet but active area. I have vacationed in Ponce many times, but it has become to "lively" for me. I am looking at the Rincon/Aquadilla/ Mayaquez areas. If anyone has any info , please send . Thank you and have a great day!

Hi gls2163
First let me welcome you to the forum and hopefully soon to Puerto Rico.
We have several members in that area that can tell you all about their favorite place to live. They are not always active but they will reach out likely soon, give it a few days.

Thank you

Hi! Welcome to the forum.
I am not sure what you mean by too lively, the areas you mentioned are major cities, specially Mayaguez. So crime, traffic will be just as bad as Ponce. Rincón/Aguadilla area is home to lots of expatriates, not sure if the crime and traffic is as bad.

Yes the term too lively is very abstract making it difficult to advice you properly. Tell us what you want and what you want to avoid so we can help you better.

Ok, Thanks for the input. What I mean by to lively is the following:
I am no longer a young individual. Not in the grave but no longer a big fan of late night partying, nor of excessive noise at all hours of the day. I don't mind people having a good time, but not every night , all night.  That gets old after a while. As far as crime is concerned: one of the reasons that I will be moving is because of crime levels"  ie:
  Where I live the overall level of crime  is 96.43 with the crime index at 83.04. Now we look at Ponce, the overall level is 85.06 with the crime index of 75.18 ( better than where I live , but not by much. Now we look at Mayaquez, overall level of crime is 70.83 with a crime index of 61.15, (getting much better as compared to where I live). Looking at Aquadilla , we have a overall level of 60.71, with a crime index at 59.15, (starting to look real good, as compared to where I live), finally, looking at Rincon, the overall crime level is 25.00 with a crime index of 32.81.  So I would say that moving to the Aquadilla/Rincon/Mayaquez area is (for me ) am excellent place to move. Furthermore, I like the ability to go from a low level urban area (as compared to where I live) to a more country area.  I am looking for an area that has stable climate . I would also like to be in an area that people are friendly and are willing to  help other people. Where I currently live the neighbors don't even talk to each other. I hope this helps you to understand why I want to move to that area.  Hope to talk to you soon.

Rincon is an expat heaven in a lot of ways, most restaurants speak English and have English menus, the whole town is very much in tune with expats. However it is also a tourist area from about December to late April, lots of tourists and surfers. I have only visited and it reminds me a lot of west California with most people walking around in swim suits and roller blades and skates bar hopping from one watering hole to  the other. It does have hills away from the busy strip that may be better for you so you can join the jubilations or be in a quiet place.

Because of the interest of tourists and expats, the rents are going up, that is the only bad thing. But you can live there or in an area away from it all and the rents will be much better if you don't mind driving 10 or 15 minutes to get to the beach area and the California life style.

If you want peace and quiet and low crime, head country side, many towns there on the west are close to each other and small houses in the hills offer nice country views and peace and quiet with little to no crime and much better rents. Check out "Las Marias" for example.

Check clasificados for rentals. Rincon: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

Question: Where are you getting those crime rate numbers? Pass along the URL.
Thanks

If you are looking at quiet areas away from crime and noise, stay away from the towns you mentioned. As Rey mentioned, Aguadilla/Rincón area is a tourist destination. This will mean higher prices for most stuff. I was reading a post in fb of locals complaining about the higher cost of eating out in the Rincón area and higher rent prices due to the influx of tourist. There is plenty of close towns in the western part of the island that's more affordable. For example, you can find a rental around Sabana Grande-Lajas-Cabo Rojo area for around $300-400/month.

I would like to take this time to say "Thank You " to both of you for the info and advice. I will be researching all of the communities that you have mentioned. The website (one of many that I use for research) that the crime stats came from is www.numbeo.com
  It has a lot of useful data and info across a lot of spectrums.  SO again Thank you, and I need to get to researching.  Have a great day!

This site will give you a good view of all the towns in the west side of the island and a little bit about each of the towns. Click on the town names for information.
http://welcome.topuertorico.org/exploring.shtml

Thanks for the info. It looks like a real good resource.

Hi everyone,

@ gls2163 > Just to inform that a new discussion has been created using your posts on the Puerto Rico forum as the previous discussion was created only for the introduction of new members recently joining the forum.

Regards,

Sarvesh
https://www.expat.com team

COOL!! Thanks

Rincon isn't really quiet.  It it is surfing mecca and attracts a young party crowd from the U.S.  Also, there is a great deal of traffic there. If you are looking for social life, however, you can find it there.  Also, there are many activities throughout the season.  I have no expierience with the area in the summer, but I suspect that it is very quiet.  Most of the U.S. mainlanders leave for the summer and many of the restaurants close.

My husband and I just bought a house in Guanica, which is relatively quiet.  We are moving there for the fabulous beaches and dry weather.  We will live there during the winter only.  There are few good restaurants in the area, but Parguera and Boqueron are about 1/2 hour away and there are many good choices there.  Also, there are many, many excellent restaurants in Ponce. 

As far as traffic goes, you will find lots of congestion anywhere you go on the island.  That's just how it is.

Congratulations annabfalter,
Hope Puerto Rico makes you super happy.

congratulations annabfalter. I agree with you on Rincon. I am looking more towards San Germain or Cabo Rojo.  Maybe Lajas.  Time will tell. All of them are close enough to Mayaquez for me. Where I live  , Traffic is a crawl during rush hour. and not much better at other times. I have vacationed in Ponce many a time and truly enjoyed it. But I am looking for something just a bit "country".

gis2163, try Las Marias if you want country.

Some say that Rincon is layback, well there are many definitions of layback and it depends on what you compare it to. Do note that I have only visited Rincon, but with all the surfing, people running around in bathing suits, going from watering hole to watering hole, all the signs in English and people in roller blades and skates, it reminds me more of Coastal California which I would not call layback.

But it is more layback than SanJuan and Santurce, yea.

As you drive away from the coast just 1/2 mile to 3 miles you are going to hit country if you head inland. My place in Ceiba is definitely country and it is only 7 minutes by car to the beach when driving slow, if you go faster you may make it in 5 minutes.I can be in Fajardo in about 8-10 minutes from my property.

We are in Sabana Grande, 25-30 minutes to mayaguez, 20-30 minutes to la parguera, and most of the beaches around that area. Low crime and traffic area, house rentals are lower in this area as well. If you are looking into buying property, you can find good deals around this area as well. A typical 3/1 room will rent for around 300-400/month.

Thanks ReyP and adlin20. That sounds like good recommendations. I have been looking at rental costs along with purchasing costs all up and down the west coast. I would like somewhere 10-15 miles inland and where I can have a garden. So  Rincon and urban Mayaquez/Aquadilla are both out.  I have looked at Sabana Grande and it looks very doable.  But again , time will tell. I am going to be coming to PR either in Sept or in Dec to start actually looking at places that I would like to live. So , we shall see. Thanks for the info.

gls2163 wrote:

Thanks ReyP and adlin20. That sounds like good recommendations. I have been looking at rental costs along with purchasing costs all up and down the west coast. I would like somewhere 10-15 miles inland and where I can have a garden. So  Rincon and urban Mayaquez/Aquadilla are both out.  I have looked at Sabana Grande and it looks very doable.  But again , time will tell. I am going to be coming to PR either in Sept or in Dec to start actually looking at places that I would like to live. So , we shall see. Thanks for the info.

A garden you can have almost anywhere, countryside you are likely to get 1/2 to several acres of land to plant to your hearth desire. The lot I purchased is 1.65 acres. Just about anywhere you can find a house for rent with quite a bit of land. Even in what we call Urbanizaciones (community) where houses are basically almost touching they still have a little bit of backyard and a little on each side where you can plant, but obviously much larger lots would be preferable if you want to go wild and have several trees, herbs, vegetables, flowers, etc.

PS. Find out where the protestant churches (any denomination) are around the property you want to rent. They get loud and the preachers really get into it, so you may want to be away from them. Maybe drive by the property around 7 PM and see what is going on around you and the noice level. Roosters, crickets and coqui frogs are unavoidable, but you will get used to it and other than the rooster, they will put you to sleep.

Thanks ReyP.   Yes, an acre or two would be great.  Gardens are a wonderful way to stay active and actually accomplish something.  As for the churches, I understand. I have seen some very ACTIVE preachers and congregations in my time.  A mile or two or three away from the church is a very good idea. As for the roosters, I grew up on a little farm and they are a very good alarm system!!!!!   Thanks for the input.

I like Lajas on the waterfront. Very relaxing but still people around to talk to.

Thanks for the info NomadLawyer. I will also be looking at Lajas. Probably inland, not on the coast. I am not much of a beach type person. Although I do enjoy fishing.

How about something like this?
https://www.facebook.com/MISUELOBORICUA … 24364191:0

Thanks ReyP,   that is a beautiful area, it MIGHT be just a touch to much country!  But I am also looking at  Las Marias as you suggested.  It looks like there are quite a few rentals and possible purchases all along the west coast. So that gives me plenty of places to look at within my price range.  For some reason, don't know why, I like the west coast of PR.

I'm not a beach person either. The area of Lajas I like has a boardwalk and small harbor for recreational boats. No beach there!

Excellent  NomadLawyer,  can you tell me exactly where that is so that I can put it in my travels?  Thank you for the info

Thanks, Rey!  We close on the house next week... very excited!

annabfalter wrote:

Thanks, Rey!  We close on the house next week... very excited!

I am glad it all worked out for you, welcome to the island.

Please do not be a stranger, make contributions every so often telling us how your house hunting went, how well are you acclimating to the island and its culture, and pay it back by helping other new upcoming members.

Thanks
Rey

PS. Maybe you can write a story about the house hunt, the good and the bad, after all it is an adventure.

Yes, that would be very nice of you, Anna. My husband and I would find your story helpful as we begin our search in May. Any insights that could steer us clear of possible mistakes and that could offer encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks! And thank you for the suggestion, Rey.
Nan

Hi, gls. It's called La Parguera. I hope you enjoy it.

Hey NomadLawyer, I just went to their website and that is a beautiful area. I like the pier/boardwalk and the small size of the town/village. I will definitely be checking this area out. By the way, is there a requirement for a fishing lic. for fishing?

No fishing license needed, but beware of the restrictions. Some fish types, like "samas" are out of season. Check the DRN website for information.

If you follow the road towards the marina, you will end at Playita Rosada. Beautiful beach with bathroom, showers and even a fenced pool off the pier.

Thanks adlin20. I have put La Parguera definitely on my list of places to check.