Mistakes expats make in Tanzania

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Tanzania? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Tanzania to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Hi everyone.
I have been living in Tanzania for the last 10 years with my Zanzibari wife and our two children. The expat community is and have always been very usefull, though you might find rotten apples everywhere.
Rule one: Do not trust anyone, even they might Seem to be friendly and helpfull. Usually the people who contact you at first are the ones to be carefull with. After many years here i have a very small handfull of persons that i trust. In the beginning i beleived In everyone, But that came very costfull. As a Danish citizen i am not suspicious of everyone, But that has changed. Take your time.
Bringing gifts for your influencial friends are very important and a Big part of the culture. It Can be food, clothes, sweets or electronics.
Bargain with everyone, exept for supermarkets. This bringes you respect as well.
Do not engage In business with locals unless you are sure you Can controll Them legally 100%. I have seen so many examples which went wrong.
If you choose to live here you have to learn to live Here.
Tanzanians are great and very friendly, But they are Also very poor, and that gives Them a lot of problems which are difficult for us to comprehend. When i came to Zanzibar first time the driver from the AirPort asked me What the purpose of my visit was. I told him i was looking for land. He said, do not trust anyone. You cant trust 99% of the people. I told him that He was being over suspicious. Now 10 years later i do agree with him.
I will be posting more In the next few days. Kesho kutoa.

Thank jakob

I also married a Zanzibari lady and is almost 12 years i have been in Zanzibar and Tanzania.When i first landed in Zanzibar it was year 2000 and that time everything was new to me as first time i saw lots of small small houses build by mud ,Very busy and congested road with lot of peoples on the road mostly at market place.If you stay in zanzibar for me u must know how to talk swahili otherways you will have to pay more for it. i have a lotss to talk.
later

Hi Rishi.

After 10 years on the island and in Tanzania, I fortunately learned Swahili as well as you did, and I think you are right on the point that it changes quite a lot. After having opening a furniture workshop, constructing a hotel which is now in operation, think I have had my share of knowledge  on how to adjust, and I do continue to learn every day though without constant surprises . If you have any questions I am always happy to share knowledge and tips. Have a great day everyone.

Hi, I am interested in doing to same thing, purchasing land and building a hotel. Please help.

Les

Hi again,

As well as a recomandation to buy a land for a futere hotel business in the Paje area, beachfront  one.

Thans so much,
Simona

Hi,

We are planning to relocate in Zanzibar and any advice is more then welcome! Any recomandation on a lawyer to take care for the papers ( resident permision, buying a plot of land in order to open a hotel business ) please do not hesitate to let us know. We are a romanian family and the area we are looking for is the south one ( Paje, Bweju and so on ).

Thanks so much,
Simona
PS : still looking on the internet about things we have to fallow to set it legal