Mistakes expats make in Italy

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Italy? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Italy to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

Here are some things to think about.
Don't expect Italian mail service to be fast.  They also lose things.  Packages from abroad take forever, and get stuck in customs where sometimes they make an estimate of what you owe, instead of taxing its real value. 
If you are a man with a shoe size of larger than 11 1/2, bring more shoes because Italian feet are smaller and the stores have only a tiny few to buy.
Bùying a house is a long process, do not expect to move in right away.
Houses are not furnished with stoves, shelves, cupboards, etc., expect to buy this and have someone put it in for you.
You can use your driver's lic. for one year, but after that you have to take the Italian test, which includes using a car from a school.  The test is very difficult. Cost for all?  Just under 1,000 euros if you use the school to help you pass....recommended!
Chinese food stores will have some of the food items you will be missing.  Search around your town and find the best one.  The will have spices, and sauces, not found anywhere else, cilantro, pankow, and many types of rice, etc.
When asking for directions always ask them to point in the direction of where you intend to go. 
Italians hang their clothes on racks to dry, most do not have electric or gas dryers. 
Good luck... Dave
My blog on life in northern Italy is at:
http://whatfillsmyplate.blogspot.it/

Hi Dave,

Interesting points there. I just wondered about the drivers' license though, as my experience is that you do not have to take lessons and pass an exam as long as you have a European license and want/need to convert it to an Italian one. You need to have some medical declarations and pay some fees but that would be it. So is it different for people outside the EU?

In case you are interested, I am a Dutch expat living in Italy since 2008 (south of Milan) and published a book about my experiences Living in Italy: the Real Deal. Maybe you want to have a look? I can always use new readers and reviewers!

Cari saluti
Stef

Biggest mistake: going to live in the same house we were renovating! Disastrous. Better rent a separate place to have some peace and quiet while the renovation is going on. I wrote about our mistakes in Living in Italy: the Real Deal.

http://italiaanse-toestanden.duepadroni.it/img/villa-in-opbouw1.jpg

I am a dual EU citizenship holder, Irish and British and have been in Piemonte for a year now, and have a few hard learnt lessons to share:

1. When buying a house there is no need for a solicitor, I nearly made this mistake but fortunately got advice a day before signing up a solicitor.  The notary takes care of the legalities and searches for both sides.  The only exception is when there are land disputes, or perhaps if you are buying a castle!

2. To live as a permanent resident in Italy, when you are self-employed, is mind-bogglingly hard!  There is a lot of paperwork to get through to get your residency card.  Also, as a couple, who are both self-employed, we needed to show we had €12,000 between us, in an Italian bank, and show we had private health insurance to prove we wouldn't need to be on benefits here. This was a big 'boo-boo' on our part.  When we first bought the house we mistakenly thought we could rock up, like I did in Ireland when moving there in my twenties, and just get on with life.  In Italy this is not possible.  Also, we couldn't buy a car without proving we had the permanent residency card, so we spent over €600 on a hire car while we sat for 45 days waiting for the Italian police to do spot checks on our Italian house to make sure we were in situ and not back in Ireland.    Ouch!!