Mistakes expats make in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Did you make any mistakes when you first moved to Dominican Republic? What were they?

How did you address your mistakes? Did you learn anything from them?

With hindsight, what would you do differently?

Are there any tips you could give future expats in Dominican Republic to help them avoid these kinds of mistakes?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

More from me later but the biggest mistakes made by those moving here are:
1.  Have only been here on vacation before and never actually tried living here for a couple of months first to see if the DR "fits" for them
2.  Expecting things to available and work like they did back "home"

My personal experiences later after I think about it for a bit.

Bob K

To be quite honest about it, I only made 1 mistake
moving here. I should have done it SOONER!
That's all. REALLY!
Tom.

Very interested in this topic. Hope there are many suggestions and experiences expressed! Thanks to all.

This is a good topic. For me the BIGGEST error I made was not forcing myself to learn Spanish immediately!   And correctly!!!  It has hampered me somewhat.  I am  quite fluent now BUT if I could do it over,  I would learn Spanish  as soon as possible. 

Those lessons often do more then JUST teach Spanish, they also teach you a lot about the culture!  So many come here and  really just live in an expat community and do not get the whole cultural aspect.  I immersed myself and that was one thing I did really right!!!! 

Other advice -  keep your mouth shut and never ever assume a Dominican does NOT speak or understand English,. I have been embarrassed more than a few times by Expats whining about something and  the Dominicans nearby understood every word.

Never ever forget we are here as guests of this country!   Until you have citizenship be grateful and stop complaining!  You hate it so much, go elsewhere. ( I am not referring to venting,  we all need to do that once in  a while,but be careful who you vent to)

Location Mistake?

The topic question from Priscilla is important.  Thank you.

After the obvious fact that we need to learn Spanish sooner than later, my biggest worry is choosing the right area as my destination.   

North coast, Punta Cana in the East, or South/East of the capital.    One thought is to explore the whole country but I dont have that luxury (due in part in me not knowing Spanish ) as well as a good chunk of free time (not retired yet).

The other constraint I have is where I live.   Here in Ottawa we dont have many options when it comes to flying direct to DR.    Punta Cana is a regular schedule and Samana is once or twice a week.   Going via Toronto extends the travel options, and the cost.   

I see folks here are somewhat scattered around DR but is appears the North Coast has the majority of fans.   Having some 'connection' to North America while in DR is important to me so this is also a factor in deciding.

My question, and it is a subjective one is:   

> Which area(s) of DR would you recommend to consider first and why?

Thanks for your comments!

Your question is really valid and I will answer with more questions. You partly answered anove but there are  lot more questions.

What is important to you in lifestyle choices -.proximity to beach? Golf? Gym? Other expats? Shopping? Superior medical care? Dominican culture?

Love big cities, small towns, country living?

Budgetary constraints?

Want to buy eventually or rent long term?

Lots of visitors or not?

Need access to quality schools? Churches?

See this is not easy and we cannot begin to advise you with limited info. We can only tell you our experiences. But, what works for.me might be horrible or not possible for you.

Thanks Planner!

I left the question intentionally high-level and general to suss out general feelings on locations, but sure, i can speak about myself.  ;)

For me its relatively simple.   Near the beach.  Want to buy (avoiding a location mistake - perhaps the sensible thing most people do would be to rent for awhile before buying?)     

I could create a long list but for me a comfortable location, with OK amentities is most important.   I can live with or without all the niceties.   We lived in Bermuda for almost 10years so we like the laid back, quiet life and opportunity to occasionally mingle with folks from Canada.    Will be running two abodes until kids are 'gone' so there will be regular trips for me back to Ottawa and, to not lose my residency status and health insurance here its needed.    Proximity to airport is important in my case.

Just trying to get a feel for area preferences and why from the members here.  Apologies if the question is too general, I'll learn :)

Got it. So first of all we always recommend renting for  6 to 12 months, make sure this country is for you and that you understand the area you chose. 

Based on what you said,  lots of areas could work. North coast, south coast,  punta Cana.   I would think Las Terrenas and Samana are too far from a bigger airport.

Its likely still too  wide open. You need to come check out the various areas.

Sounds like the North Coast will be your new home Mike!
There are 100's of chats going on here. The list of them is here at the top. Take 3 days & read them all! Tired of Trudeau already?
The list is at the bottom as well.
Tom.

What a great topic! I have to sit down and read (and reread) all of the threads about moving and starting a new life in the Dominican as I am 99% committed to the move now.  With my house sold and closing in June I need to pull things together for a move in early August. 

I am certainly glad for the great advice on this forum! I don't know what I would have done without Planner! :)

Planner has helped probably thousands of wanna-be EXPATS here! Bob as well!
Thank you both!
Tom.

Planner!
WestJet usually has cheaper flights to & from
Samana from Canada than anybody else!
Tom.

Tomas, I second your comment. Planner and BobK contribution to this web site is invaluable. When you need info on DR, they will almost always be the first to respond with informative and accurate comments.

saw a commentator say Samana and Las Terrenas too far from a major airport. I think for someone thinking of relocating to the DR year round or even just seasonally, that should not be a major consideration. It adds only 5 hours total ( round trip) to duration of travel and that is with a public bus costing only 375pesos. I mention this in particular because town like Las Terrenas offers desired beach life while at the same time allowing for living on a hillside with nice breezes and often times 2 -3 C cooler than sea level ( not to mention really nice views)

I am humbled by your comments! Thank you all. I love helping people and sharing my passion for this country!

Thank you all for your thoughts.  Yes I have enjoyed "helping" others on the DR as others have helped me over the years.  What goes around comes around

Bob K

MIkeee you are right

Bob K