How safe is using bi-Cycle in Jakarta

Hello Guys

My office is recently shifted from Sunter area to Pasar Baru near Sikh temple which will be around 9 km, till recently I used to go office by cycling from my apartment , hardly 2 km, I just wanted to know how safe it is to drive cycle in city area. Any one else have experience of regular cycling in Jakarta.

Thank You

Rajnish

On car free day, safe as houses.
Other days - nasty, dirty and dangerous at best.

Thanks Fred for your reply...LOL... is there any car free day in Jakarta..

There are car free days on the main road from Ratu plaza to just short of Monas every Sunday. The roads are quiet on the way and all sorts of food and events are there for you.

Jakarta's roads are otherwise a dangerous mess so it's better to use transjakarta to get around.
That and they have AC so you aren't sweaty and nasty when you get to work.

Car free day becomes everyone and his frint on a bike or roller blades day and it's become hard work to walk now especially with all the construction slap bang in the middle of the car free area.
Riding from Sunter to Pasar Baru isn't easy nor too friendly as the traffic is terrible around that area at times.
Riding is ok if you got your wits about you and understand that motorbikes basically don't care about you then you will be fine if not a little sweaty, but make sure you have a good cycle helmet and are visible and are not afraid to stand your ground as it will help.

I have done transjakarta for work and it was extremely cheap but one of the worst experiences I have had here. I took buses for 2 weeks and never had a seat didn't need to hold on to anything as I was wedged in and smelt bad by the time I was home. The buses are great but not at peak times.