Guatemala 2018 w/banking question

Hello to all!  :cheers:

I'm planning to move to Guatemala next year. I have lived in the Chicago area for 13 years, originally I am from Eastern Europe. I have been reading the expat group posts on Facebook and it has been really helpful. Also I find the Expat Files Podcasts from Johnny Mueller very informative and entertaining.

I do have a question, if anyone could have some insight into this, about banking. I would like to transfer my money to Guatemala from the United States, as when I leave I won't return here, so banking from the US is out of the question. How do I go around that? Can a friend open a bank account for me, or for herself, and I send her the money through Western Union/Xoom little by little and later once I am there change the account user to my name from hers? I do trust this person very much, I have to add. My other idea was to put my money in a bank in my home country in Europe, and just use my debit card from that bank in Guatemala. But eventually I want to open a bank account in Guatemala too.
What do you think? Is there another option? I appreciate your time.

hello.. you can't open an account here if you are not physically here and a friend could open it in his name but could be incurring illegal act as when you open an account you declare that the account is for your personal use.. I would suggest just set up your US account to allow you send money to Guatemala remotely and when you are in Guatemalan open an account if you can and then wire the US $ to your Guat Account either in local currency or US $ .

Oh I see.  Yes, definitely I don't want to get my friend into trouble. That sounds doable. Thank you very much!