Lessons learnt on my move to Malta

Hi guys.
So my move to Malta is the 17th of this month a bank holiday in the UK. Thought I would let you know what I have experienced so far.
Job hunting.:  I'm in the IT sector, Infrastructure support. konnekt recruitment has been the best/most professional, also linked in job search feature has been good source of jobs. 
Had a few interviews but in the end decided that it's hard to compete over Skype with someone already in Malta. Also felt like business get messed around as in ppl pull out of the move once the job is given 2nd thoughts etc etc . The company's seem to want some evidence of your commitment to the move to Malta. An actual moving date helps. also felt the wage offered was high compared to the average but still the attitude is " on yeah it's only 26k but it's malta 300 days sun, laid back lifestyle etc etc"  so decided to stop the interviews and just move to take that part out of the wage negotiation process.
Somewhere to Live:  Estate Agents work completely different than from the UK they are just middle men. First off forget looking on the websites they are all out of date contact an agent tell them what you are looking for go from there. I found a place through frank Salt, The Place I got in the end was advertised for 580 and we came to an agreement of 600 ??? I know but that's how it works. The place was going for 650 managed to knock 60 off for signing a year contract instead of 6 months. Once you have paid the agent they have no involvement going forward. It's between you and the landlord. No credit checks, no background checks, and contract was not worth the paper it was printed on. But Landlords are really nice been really understanding and helpful.
Traveling with Pet Dog:  Finding somewhere to live with the dog was pretty easy, only two places said no because of the Dog the rest was just overpriced or I did not like. Flying a 32kg  dog to malta. Went through an agency who wanted to charge me £1300. Felt that was a bit steep so contacted Air Malta the Price came to £610. The agency made up a bunch of charges and added VAT on. Air Malta told me the charges and the VAT are included in the £610. You need the correct type of crate, a bunch of stickers to go on it. can only fly from Heathrow with pets on a Monday. And you need to fill in a form on the Malta Gov website and send off so they have a Vet waiting at the airport to check you have followed all the EU rules, check the pet passport etc etc. Will give an update on how it goes.
Extra stuff: visited Malta a few times to make sure I knew what I was getting into and it was right for me, joined a face book group called RUBS, made some friends on line, visited them out in Malta, met a woman who became more than a friend ;-). Been think about Malta for over a year and planning since January all the logistics. We got together in December I would be lying if she was not a big factor in the final decision
Conclusions: won't lie I'm Still worried about finding work but I'm going out with enough to last 3-4 months, if I don't find anything in the 1st month I will just get some bar work or something. Just to get some money coming in. I Know there are jobs in Malta I can do, it's just finding the right one for me.
The move its self is still a scary thing but all in all I'm sure it's the right decision for me. If I don't try it I will never know. 
It's a fresh start for me, I'm almost through a Divorce hoping to get it all wrapped up by the end of 2017, it's still early days but the woman I have met makes me very happy,
I have 16yr old daughter, it cost me more money for her train ticket from Reading to Cardiff then it does for the flight from Heathrow to Malta. So she still visiting for half terms and will be as much as part of my life as she is now.
Anyway.. thought I would share some thoughts and lessons learned. I did not speak much on the forum but it has really helped me reading the posts thank you all
Any questions I will do my best to answer

Extra Tip for Uk expats
metro Bank, you can open a bank account same day, get card and everything but you need to go in store,
You can use the card in Europe at no charge chip and pin, contact less and withdraw money.   
its going to tie me over till i get a bank account with HSBC Malta

Thanks for the tips!  :)

Majority of Gavherbs tips been mentioned many times before on here especially about estate agents.

OK, GozoMo -I will check the forum! :)
Thanks! :)

update
for anyone who is interested
so been here a month and a bit found a job as a IT manager its about a half hour commute from where I live.
I actually applied for the job in the UK in January and the agency told them I was here in Malta and still looking and they practically threw the job at me.
all in all I really like it here, nice friendly ppl, myself and the dog settling in nicely real like the way of life here its a different pace.   
problems:
cant open a bank account with out a work contract and a Maltase ID card
cant get an ID card without a work contract, proof your staying here like a rental contract, you also need  a social security number (you have to apply on line ) and filling in a employee engagement form from job plus.

gavherb wrote:

update
for anyone who is interested
so been here a month and a bit found a job as a IT manager its about a half hour commute from where I live.
I actually applied for the job in the UK in January and the agency told them I was here in Malta and still looking and they practically threw the job at me.
all in all I really like it here, nice friendly ppl, myself and the dog settling in nicely real like the way of life here its a different pace.   
problems:
cant open a bank account with out a work contract and a Maltase ID card
cant get an ID card without a work contract, proof your staying here like a rental contract, you also need  a social security number (you have to apply on line ) and filling in a employee engagement form from job plus.

1)  You can open a bank account without a work contract.

2)  You do not get a Maltese ID card you get an eResidence card which has an ID number ending in A for Alien. (The Maltese ID contains Biometric information and can be used as a travel document.)

3) You can get an eResidence card without a work contract.

4) You only need a social security number if you are going to pay in to the system as an employee or as a self employed person. You do not need one to get an eResidence card.

5) Under EU law you do not have to show proof of residence but in practice the Maltese authorities require it.

6) Applying for Tax registration is mandatory if you become resident in Malta.

Ray

Hi Gavhetb

Congratulations on the job, glad your happy here.

Now you have the job, go to jobs plus, get the Emoyment form, you & your employer fill it out. Take it back and you will be issued with your social security (ni) number same day. Your tax number will automatically come in the post )around a week or so later).

Check online the documents you need for your registration ID card. You go to Evans building, Merchants St, Valletta. You can get your photocopies that you need from a little shop on the rh side on Merchant St. They cost around 30c per copy. Your ID card will take approx 4 weeks.

Once you have your contract of Emoyment & all the above, you can then open your bank account.

I have been here since January, and have completed all the above. I did move from job to job as well during this time too.

Good luck!

Its an e residence card not an ID card.

Very true but nobody here will ever ask for the e-residence card, only  your ID and I doubt it will ever change. It's just coming up to 5 weeks tomorrow waiting for ours to be ready.

RayAuvote

You took the words out of my mouth, I was about to reply saying the same thing. No one here has ever asked me for my e-residence card, just ID card, and that is what it is. Thank you!

I am on here to find advice and to offer advice

Ruby70 wrote:

RayAuvote

You took the words out of my mouth, I was about to reply saying the same thing. No one here has ever asked me for my e-residence card, just ID card, and that is what it is. Thank you!

I am on here to find advice and to offer advice

A Maltese ID card is totally different to an e residence card even though people call it an ID card.

Read point number two on Foxgloves post.

Regarding e-residence card / ID card: I'd say you're both right... it is really an e-residence card, but everyone refers to it as an ID card, and in the end you're talking about the same thing... so why argue?

Surely point 2 implies that there is still an ID card, which does not exist anymore.
Every form I fill in still asks for an ID number. The only exception to this I have found is the application for the e-residency card itself.  I presume this change in terminology has something to do with the EU and Human Rights  because as soon as the mention of everyone having a ID card in the UK, the Human Rights brigade are up in arms. At the end of the day it's all the same thing with a different name.

The Maltese ID card does still exist and is different!
It is only issued to Maltese citizens and has Biometric content, it is also accepted throughout the EU as a travel document. The eResidence card does not and is not a travel document.
The eResidence card has replaced the previously separate residence documentation and Aliens ID card.

Hi Gozomo

Yes I know the difference thank you. The point is, in whatever form, itare is an ID card, and it is used in the same way.

I am sure when people go to Evans Building to apply, they will be given the correct form to fill in. The staff their are very helpful.

Applying for the e-residence card is fine at the Evans Building, and the Maltese ID card is fine from the Identity Malta office. So people will not be confused anyway.

By the way Ruby its only if you live on Malta you use the Evans building, if you live on Gozo you apply
here, when the cards were first introduced everyone had to go to Malta and it was horrendous and
it took months to get your card.

Thanks Ray, for the valuable information :)

GozoMo wrote:

By the way Ruby its only if you live on Malta you use the Evans building, if you live on Gozo you apply
here, when the cards were first introduced everyone had to go to Malta and it was horrendous and
it took months to get your card.

just been in to Victoria today to find out where ours are, we were told they had been printed and they were waiting for them to be dispatched to Gozo and to give it another week,  that will be 2 months by then.
Ray

Nowadays thats a long time, when they were first issued I think we waited eight months.

When we renewed our cards for change of address in Victoria, my wife's took 3 weeks and they told me, when we collected hers, that it was at the printers. It then took another 3 weeks and a phone call to get it.

Ray

so I shouldn't hold my breath then  :)

RayAucote wrote:

so I shouldn't hold my breath then  :)

One good thing is you do not have to go to Malta!

I think they must wait till they have enough to send before doing so. Can't complain about the service in Victoria though. Staff always helpful.
Ray.

Just an update, finally got our cards yesterday. Now the battle with the Banks begins.. :(
Ray

RayAucote wrote:

Just an update, finally got our cards yesterday. Now the battle with the Banks begins.. :(
Ray

We opened our bank account using our passport before we received our cards, perhaps its changed now.

If all you want is somewhere to transfer money into and draw cash from an ATM, pay bills and perhaps online shopping you could always try MaltaPost PostaPay & Save.
I know things may have changed recently because of the increased number of people moving here but we had no problem opening a bank account with just a passport and lease agreement as proof of address. We then gave them the ID number when our cards came through six months later!
Also use a company such as 'Transferwise'  to get the best exchange rate, much better than UK banks.

I do have a PostaPay account but it's a short term workaround. Firstly, there is only 1 card, even though it's a joint account. Secondly, there is no online access which means we have to track the balance ourselves which isn't a real problem but there is no way of knowing if the money you have transferred in ( we do use Transferwise, ) is actually in the account. They do send you a letter a day or so after completion to tell you it's there. They also send me a text every time I use the card in a shop..
I  tried to withdraw our rent the other day and got refused at BOV machine  as the transfer had not gone through at the time. Maltapost assured me that all these issues are being addressed as the account is still under development.
We have started  a process at Lombard but that was 2 months ago and have heard nothing since. May try BOV and Banif,  Ray, have you any concerns regarding Banif majority ownership is in a troubled middle eastern Country, forgotten who but did read about it the other day?

Ray

We have never had a problem with Banif.
I certainly don't have any concerns as we do not leave much money in there for any length of time. They, as far as I know, have the same requirements placed on them by the authorities as BOV, HSBC etc. so can't see that they are any less safe.
We try to keep it to about €1500 a month and by the time we have withdrawn the rent and money for shopping there is not much left in there. That way, at the end of the year we have not transferred more than our combined tax allowance.
Tend to pay for flights and similar things direct from UK account so they are below the radar!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

We have never had a problem with Banif.
I certainly don't have any concerns as we do not leave much money in there for any length of time. They, as far as I know, have the same requirements placed on them by the authorities as BOV, HSBC etc. so can't see that they are any less safe.
We try to keep it to about €1500 a month and by the time we have withdrawn the rent and money for shopping there is not much left in there. That way, at the end of the year we have not transferred more than our combined tax allowance.
Tend to pay for flights and similar things direct from UK account so they are below the radar!

Ray

I'll have to pop in again to Banif in Victoria to see what they want now I have the e-residency card, they weren't interested without that the last time I went in.
BOV were much the same re. e-residency card but as you have probably said before, it's who you see on the day..

Ray

Hello what part of Malta are you from?

Sehamfad wrote:

Hello what part of Malta are you from?

Who are you asking?

Or even why?

Hi there. Can I ask some questions about taking your dog via the plane?

amyzamzam wrote:

Hi there. Can I ask some questions about taking your dog via the plane?

Welcome to the Forum, you can find the information you require by using search as this subject has been covered several times, the topic you have posted on is an old one, good luck.