Retirement Visa - can I do Internet work, investments online?

My wife and I are planning to retire in Thailand and my understanding is that working while on a retirement visa is not allowed.

Would doing websites and other Internet work, where we are not taking a Thai person's job be acceptable?

What if we were actively trading in the market for profit?  Again this would not take a Thai person's job.

I have seen a lot of Digital Nomads on YouTube.  They seem to be using tourist visas and settle where there is good high speed Internet.  Would doing this under a retirement visa create a liability?

Any input appreciated.

People will probably disagree with me but most of the so called "digital nomads" are working illegally in the country. The only way to do any legal work in Thailand is on a work visa.  Doesn't matter if it's online or not. Having said that, so far authorities have ignored people working online for the most part. 

I do a lot of stuff online and that is one of the reasons we left Thailand. We wanted to live in a country where we could actually become permanent residents after two or three years, own property and legally work.  We didn't want to check in every 90 days and renew our visas every year for the rest of our lives!  It's nice not being a perpetual visitor, which is basically what you are anywhere in Asia.

Hi. At this time, after a certain incident awhile ago, it appears that any expat is not in offense to Thai law when working on your own business in Thailand. It may change, but that is the prevailing opinion at the moment.  Just do not take a job on the ground. You may not take a job with a Thai company, and it is likely not acceptable to sell goods to people openly here. I recommend opening a bank account outside of the USA if you plan on generating more than $100,000 per year in revenue..

All The Best,
Ricardo