US Social Security form 21

Hi all,

I will be moving to Saigon in a month and have been told by the SSA that I have to fill out this form 21 to continue receiving my disability income. Someone mentioned in another thread in the finance section not to fill out and send any forms to them. I had been reading up on the best way of banking, either from the states or through an international or Vietnamese bank. So I'm curious if anyone out there has filed this form for the SSA and how it might affect my benefits? Any info or advice is appreciated...
Nice to meet you all,
T

Not sure what the Form 21 is, nor do receive SSD, just my normal SS pension. So the only advice I can give is to make sure you have a direct deposit set up with a US Bank. We are now able to receive SS benefits with no problem. We were once on one of a handful of restricted countries. Good luck

I read over the Form 21 instructions briefly and I don't think you need it if you are a US citizen, only if you are a resident alien living abroad.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200205180https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-21.pdf

I agree with the previous poster. Back in the day when VN was one of the restricted countries if would have applied it seems. But now it does not apply to US citizens, only aliens.

Yes, after reviewing it myself, I think the reason they are requiring me to file it is because of the disclosure of any work related income while receiving disability benefits. They are very strict about how much you can make while on disability and eager to cut you off if they can. I think k it's a way for them to monitor any other sources of income and even volunteer work for free that I might engage in. You are also right about Vietnam coming off the restricted country list. SSA told me that it was just last year that Cambodia and Vietnam were removed from the ban list of countries. I believe North Korea and Cuba are the only ones that remain on the list. My feeling was that if I stayed with a bank in the US how would they even know I was living abroad in Vietnam. The only problem is they can call for a review of your disability case every so many years and would have to show up at my local office in Tampa, Florida and meanwhile I would be all the way round the world figuring out how to get back in a short and expensive hurry to be reviewed. This form 21 is their way of keeping tabs on me. I lived in Nicaragua and Guatemala and didn't report it but had to leave these countries every three months anyway so I wasn't concerned and the cost for a quick and cheap flight to the US was paltry. Vietnam presents a different challenge. I may send the form in just in case but don't like Uncle Sam watching me so closely. I have the Vietnamese to do that now.
Thanks for the replies,
Tom