Is Beijing air dangerous for kids?

I've got a fairly decent job offer in Beijing 33400rmb a month, free housing and free tuition for my 2 kids. The job seems very good and with a good school but I'm concerned about moving my children to Beijing with the air quality. My wife will have our 3rd child prior to joining me there, from Japan.

I would love to hear from people with kids about how they feel their children's health is being impacted and if they think the move is worth it.

Thank you

woodyrock wrote:

I've got a fairly decent job offer in Beijing 33400rmb a month, free housing and free tuition for my 2 kids. The job seems very good and with a good school but I'm concerned about moving my children to Beijing with the air quality. My wife will have our 3rd child prior to joining me there, from Japan.

I would love to hear from people with kids about how they feel their children's health is being impacted and if they think the move is worth it.

Thank you

i would not do it for the money. you cannot buy health (or at least u need a huge amount of money to buy a bit of health)
the air is horrible in beijing. its smog days almost 70%of the time.

the move is definitely not worth it. i only visited it a few times for work and Im already coughing badly with a few hours of exposure

Definitely. There is scientific evidence that smog can cause intellectual and physical development problems in kids. Sure wearing a mask helps, or you can keep your kids indoor with air purifiers on, but that's no childhood, is it? Persistent smog also has a negative effect on the mood. Kids need to be in a place where they can grow up healthy and happy. I don't have kids myself. But if I did, I wouldn't raise them in Beijing.