How to Find Work in Myanmar

My Burmese partner moved back to Myanmar two years ago and I have been trying since then to find work so that we can reunite our family. I am an American expat who has been working at dotcoms and telecoms in India for the past ten years. I would like to move to Myanmar by the end of 2017.

I am posted on the top Myanmar job sites, but I never seem to identify any positions that seems suitable for my experience and even those that do, I apply to them and never hear back. My partner is saying to just make the jump and look while in Yangon. I would be coming on a tourist visa and I am not sure what the new rules are for foreign workers. I hear there are some new regulations being put in place that could make being an expat in Myanmar more precarious.

Can anyone give me advice on where to look? My best options for finding work? What is the best visa I should apply for if I intend to look for work once there? What is the longest period I can be in Myanmar before my tourist visa expires? I have visited twice on business visas and once as a tourist in the past three years. Will that help or hinder the process?

Also, I have two dogs that I rescued in India that I would need to import into Myanmar. Can anyone recommend a safe, affordable and reliable company that can assist in this process? I do not have a company paying my expenses...

So many questions. Would love to hear how you found work from outside the country and how you are managing your visas. Thanks!

-- Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

if you do not have a job offer, you have to come to Myanmar under tourist visa, which is for 28 days. but I do not know how will it be for Americans. but, with tourist visa, you cannot work & for that you need a business visa or employment visa. if you are coming to Myanmar to explore possibilities, you have to come with tourist visa, find a suitable job & then apply for right visa through the company. we can assist you with obtaining visa & also, to move your goods with dogs, as we are an international logistics company. please write to me, if you still have your requirement.

Rgds
Prasad

Hi Prasad,

I haven't really found any information about the employment visa. As an international logistics company, I figured you would know the answers to these questions. What are the requirements to obtain an employment visa? How long is it good for? Are there any degree requirements? Thanks in advance.

Alba