Climate Accomodation

To the expats who have been here over a year . . . do you become more accustomed to the warm temps as time goes by?  I have been in Siem Reap for four months.  I think I'm getting more acclimated, but I do often sweat a great deal while out and about.

Have you noticed yourself if your body changes to accept your new normal climate?

I am not there in Siem Reap yet and now I am getting concerned about the heat.  I have been living in the tropics of Mexico for over 20 years and sweat all the time but being on the Pacific coast we always have a sea breeze so I don't feel so hot.
This heat thing is making me rethink my planned trip in May when it is going to get hotter :( 
So what do you there, spend most of the day indoors with AC?

Yes, most of my time is spent indoors, but I try not to rely on the A/C to a great extent.

I don't think the climate here would be all that much different from Mexico.  I have a condo in Florida near Tampa and I don't notice that Siem Reap is that much different.  Of course, I've only been here four months and the warmer part of the year is just beginning.

Thanks for your input. This may sound wimpy but I sweat and it drives me crazy, changing clothes three or four times a day (includes workout gear) and have damp hair all the time.  My daughter will be there May 1st and I am thinking maybe wait to see what she says about the heat.
So how is it you are there four months visa-wise? Do you leave and come back or is it renewed right there?

Hi Judy,

I'm living in Siem Reap for the last 6 years. I can say that over the years I've adjusted to the tropical weather. Don't get me wrong, the hot season still feels really hot! And I will avoid going out during the hottest time of the day.

There are some ways to deal with the tropical temperatures. I think a room / apartment with AC is a must here. Besides that, you have a plethora of swimming pools in Siem Reap where you can cool down. Another advantage of Siem Reap is that it literally takes 5 minutes by motorbike or tuk tuk to be on the countryside, where it's a couple of degrees cooler and more windy. I especially like the rice fields around Phnom Krom, where there are no buildings or trees to block the wind.

Concerning your visa question. You have several options. A tourist visa costs 30USD, is valid for 1 month and can be extended 1 time for another 30 days without leaving Siem Reap. Just visit a travel agent in town and they will do it for about 50usd.

The second option is entering Cambodia on a business visa at 35usd for 1 month. This visa can be extended for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year at any travel agent in town. So no need to leave the country. Only the 6 month and 1 year visa or "multi entry" though, making it possible to travel without having to renew your visa.

All the visa types are listed here. Cambodia has introduced some new visa types in September 2016 which have caused quite some confusion among expats. And there is also the issue of requiring a work permit when you enter Cambodia on a business visa (although you have 1 year time to arrange this).

I hope i didn't confuse you more. ;-) If you have any more questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Cheers,
Chris

No confusion, on the contrary. You have been very helpful! Thanks a trillion

Chris, can I ask your personal opinion on inoculations.  Six years is a long time. Have you heard of anyone's illness that could have been avoided by shots like  the HepA vaccine or Typhoid etc.  I would normally do a tetanus shot if I were seriously cut or had deep abrasion.  Sorry to ask again, I know there are quite a few different views on the subject.

Sorry for the late reply! Actually, i haven't heard of anyone who's gotten sick... But most of my friends, including myself, did have vaccinations before arriving in Siem Reap. So, i'd probably recommend doing that as well. You don't want to end up in a Cambodian hospital with a serious illness like Hepatitis A or Typhoid.