Divorce question

Hello everyone! I am Sarah and I am 44 years old and I really need some advice!

I am from an EU country and my husband is Dutch. We have been married 7 years in September and we have 1 child, age 7. I am unemployed and he has a full-time job. We have bought a house with a mortgage, which he pays from his salary. I have been living here for 7 years.

My question is, since I have no income as an unemployed person and no money on my name, how can a divorce work? I can't pay for a lawyer or rent my own place or care for my child alone and it is very scary, I am terrified.....What can happen in this case?

Thank you in advance for any advice everyone

Love,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the Forum; sorry to hear about your matrimonial issues.

This page explains the divorce process in the Netherlands.

There is a Legal-Aid system in Holland; this link will take you to their web-page.

Whether it's adequate, or how good it is, I have no idea.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

You can hire any attorney you want, who can file for you an "assistance" legal help. This garantees your attorney he/she will be paid.

Only you need aprox 90 euros for administration fee for the court proceedings. Try to get 90 euros out of your household wallet  and keep it separate;) Don't worry about further divorce expenses as explained here above.

Your housing issue: Is your housecontract written down on BOTH of your names or only him? Quite often a family on one income has their house on both their names, just in case something bad happens with the sole provider, like your husband. If it's only in his name he can decide to kick you out BUT you can prevent by your lawyer if also your child is living there too.

Usually the judge let you live in your current house with your child. BUT the judge can request to put the house for sale if he/she thinks it's needed for both of you for the future.

For future housing you will need your "gemeente" to apply for monthly social security check + applying for local subsidized housing. Go to your gemeente for more info and help. I have to warn you they work slow so even you are not divorced yet, take action right now. And take someone with you. It can be mentally exhausting.

Your child is Dutch. He/she will get an allowance per month based on the current income from his dad. You will get the money in your bankaccount. Your local gemeente can guide you to collect the money if he doesn't pay up.

If you don't have an own bankaccount, please open one as soon as possible. There is one you can open online: www.knab.nl Ask a Dutch speaking person who is not related to your husband to help you.

Also your child lives with you, so it means quarterly child benefits goes straight to you. If your Dutch husband is collecting this benefit, you still can change it into your benefit. Look for an appointment in their office: www.svb.nl And explain the situation. Remember your child lives with you on the same address. That's the most important thing SVB is looking into it.

Furthermore each Dutch primary school have a designated counsillor who can help you and your child. Don't be shy and ask for a meeting to help you and your child.

I hope this will help.

You can always send me a PM through this site.