Must know if transporting animals

if you have animals or pets that you plan to bring to Puerto Rico and you heart broken, you must be aware of limitations imposed by the government, some animals, including some dog breeds are not allowed to be transported into PR. Puerto Rico is not the only country where limitations exist, if you decide to go elsewhere check for a similar set of restrictions.

So before you get too far on your plans to move to Puerto Rico, check this document, otherwise your animal may not be transported and your plane will leave without you, your rented place is charging you for your stay and you just gave up your house and job.

Not a pretty situation to be in

See: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_expor … FICATE.pdf

Definition of a Pet: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr … n-of-a-pet

If you still have questions call or email them at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr … uerto-rico

PS - sorry to bum you out.

Thank goodness. I checked these regulations and there is no restriction on giraffes.

frogrock wrote:

Thank goodness. I checked these regulations and there is no restriction on giraffes.

I thought I saw a giraffe in Palmas when I was on my way to La Pescaderia a couple of weeks ago. Must have been yours, I guess. :D

Plenty of dogs and cats in the island to adopt. Even a caiman or two. LOL

Adopt a Coqui

Oh I love coqui!  I miss those lil voices.  That really made me smile.

While you are adopting the Coqui, see if they have an adop a pothole program in your town, may save your tires, rims and differential down the road.

will do   :(

Did this happen to you?! 
My dog looks like he is a Staffordshire Terrier mix but I had him genetically tested and it says he is a boxer mix. I am trying to figure out if the way a dog looks is considered or if his vet papers say he is a certain breed is considered more.

Thank you!

Okay I just checked. I have a Great Dane, a Shitzu-Chihuahua mix, and a blue iguana. Do you think there could be restrictions on the iguana? I didn't see anything on either but I still wonder. I'm also wondering if anyone transported a dog as large as a Great Dane before.

Yes likely iguana will be a problem. Call them
Check exotic animals. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_expor … FICATE.pdf

To my knowledge they go by the vet certificate, but an employee with a keen eye could cause you problems, DNA test may come handy so keep it at hand.

Your Dane can probably pass for a horse, LOL.

Haha! If I had a dollar for every time someone called him a horse when they come to my door I'd be rich! I guess I'll have to start figuring those things out. A DNA test for all of them? What would that be for?

No, you already did the DNA test for the one that could be confused. Not needed but since you did it already keep it handy in case someone asks.

They will need to be crated and travel at night. So you would drop them off then head to your plane. Depending on space and time of day the dogs may arrive later than you, maybe a day later in some cases. They will not transport them if too hot, they try to get them there at night or early morning hours. Maybe a midnight flight is the way to go for them and you.

I did?! How?! I don't remember ever doing a DNA test on my pets. I'm so confused.  :/

Sorry it was SarahVel that said: "My dog looks like he is a Staffordshire Terrier mix but I had him genetically tested and it says he is a boxer mix. I am trying to figure out if the way a dog looks is considered or if his vet papers say he is a certain breed is considered more."

Sorry I got both of you confused. Yea you do not need any DNA tests.

SarahVel wrote:

Did this happen to you?! 
My dog looks like he is a Staffordshire Terrier mix but I had him genetically tested and it says he is a boxer mix. I am trying to figure out if the way a dog looks is considered or if his vet papers say he is a certain breed is considered more.

Thank you!

All you should need is the Vet paper with the breed. But it does not hurt to have the DNA test since you did it anyway. Just keep it handy just in case but should not need it.

Mostly it is the airline that makes the decision, once the dog arrives in PR nobody will be giving you any looks. PR have the airlines enforce the rules.

Ohhh okay that makes sense now. I'm glad I'm finding this out now and not last minute! Thank you!